Winter Gardening Anyone?

dianehodges

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
Already had Romaine and Butter Crunch lettuce on sandwiches and in salads Few days ago planted Red Lettuce and cabbage
Today collard, turnip and mustard greens Lastly beets and onions Anyone else?

I put some onions out. Still waiting for my beets to get big enough to eat. They were planted in the spring but the rabbits got them then the zucchini smothered them now they are standing alone and growing. Were do you live?

I planned on planting a winter garden this year but have yet to put anything in. I live in Missouri and not really sure what I should plant. I have never planted in the fall before.

Lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, onions, beets, turnip, collard or mustard greens are some of the winter crops In Georgia the winters have been mild and spring usually comes early I have a feeling this winter maybe different

I have planted spinach and lettuce in my garden. The spinach has sprouted but for the last week has just been there, no new leaves, no growth, nothing. Just a little stick plant with two leaves. The lettuce never even germinated.

They are planted behind my tomato plants, so they are in the shade. Do you think that might be a problem? Does spinach need full sun to grow?

I think the soil may be alittle cold for the lettuce to germinate. Time to start seeds in the house I think.

I have planted spinach and lettuce in my garden. The spinach has sprouted but for the last week has just been there, no new leaves, no growth, nothing. Just a little stick plant with two leaves. The lettuce never even germinated.

They are planted behind my tomato plants, so they are in the shade. Do you think that might be a problem? Does spinach need full sun to grow?

I think the soil may be alittle cold for the lettuce to germinate. Time to start seeds in the house I think.

Is it that cold already? There is a thing called germination temperature. Too low and the seeds stay dormant. Too hot and they don't germinate. Not too hot, not too cold, it has to be just right like Goldilock says. Check to see what your soil temperature is and what is required for the plant. you may have to germinate on heated tray. then transplant. I do dat.

Spinach, swiss chard, carrots, beets, parsnips grown in colder weather down to freezing makes for really sweet veggies.

Even if you are a backyard gardener, its worth making a low poly tunnel. And cover with agribon row cover. If you want to grow through out winter, where it snows, then you need to cover the tunnel with hard clear plastic over the agribon. The hard clear plastic will keep the weight of the snow off the plants and agribon cover.

Make your tunnel frame out of 3/4" metal conduit (home depot Model # 101550). Make a jig for the bender. Easy. search hoop house pipe bender.

I have collards, purple to turnips, beets, 2 different cabbage, spinach and radish. We live in NW Georgia and have had a second season garden for years.

I have planted Mustard greens, collards, garlic, broccoli, purple cauliflower (turns green when cooked
ya.gif
) lettuce, and still have to plant turnips. Growing now; sweet potatoes (will plant turnips when they are harvested) zuchinni (2 plants) and 2 yellow squash and the green beans are still producing. Under the PVC redneck greenhouse is 1 orange bell pepper, 1 yellow and 1 red bell pepper, 1 cayenne and 18 tomatoes. Waiting on feed store to get onion sets.
lol.png

I live in NC and would like to know if it is too late for me to put in a winter garden and if it is not what would I plant.

Back
Top Bottom