Winter "greens" question

shellie003

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
NE WI
Hello all!!!

I have a question that has probably been asked already but what do you do for a green source for food during the winter? Right now we give our girls grass and swiss chard from the garden to get some green in their diet. They are not free ranging due to our 2 golden "bird hunting" retrievers. For us in NE WI our grass will be dying soon and our lawns frozen and snow covered
barnie.gif
. Do you get alfalfa or something from a feed mill? Right now we give them a dry layer mash we by from our food mill. I was just curious to your thoughts...
hu.gif

Last edited:
During the "no greens" months, I buy cabbage and lettuce at the grocery store....run it through the food processor to shred it, and give small amounts every other day. A bit expensive, but it makes my Silkies happy.

We're planning on planting a winter garden with kale and maybe spinach. We don't usually have harsh winters here in SC though, so I'm not sure how that would work for you in snowy WI.

Sprouted seeds are a good winter green. Buy a 50 pound bag of wheat kernels just for sprouting, let them get a few inches tall before feeding to the chickens. It's cheaper than buying greens in winter.

I started kale early this spring in the house. I planted it in the garden and take off a dozen or so leaves every couple of days for the chickens. Still thriving and I expect it to go through a few good frosts. Then I`ll dry the rest for winter months. If you have room plan for next years harvest. We also have a grocery store here, if your get there beyween 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. they will give any veg that are no longer sellable (but still really good) . I have brought home large garbage bags full.

I was really suprised when our chickens liked bell peppers. They liked the orange ones for sweetness and green ones for the green taste. (Salad scrapes)

We're lucky our Meijer grocery store sells a great selection of greens thru the winter; usually I bring home italian dandelion greens, their favorite! They like bokchoi too. We suspend greens from the ceiling to give them something interesting to do during cooped up days, but the purina layena pellets are probably adequate on their own. Ijust like to treat them.

I planted some kale from seed about a week ago along with mustard greens & its up. I also transplanted collards, broccoli, cabbage,cauliflower, spinach. and other veggies. Should be a good winter for the chicks & myself & I'll sell the rest. I'm in Texas so fall gardens do well.

Back
Top Bottom