Winter Hardy Chicken Breeds

Thanks, you two. To be honest, your answers are more in line with my original question, lol (again, thank you)! (Not that I mind[ed] learning, asking more questions, and kinda' just, well, chatting with the rest of you :hugs).
Anyways, but it wouldn't be lack of light; I feel like we have normal? temperatures; you know, typically hot in the summer, and cold in the winter (we hardly ever get temps into the negative, though). And sometimes our summers are kind of 'cool', and sometimes our winters are 'warm'. We just have unpredictable weather/temps, and we tend to get a little bit of 'everything' (so to speak). Just giving you information that might help you be able to name more breeds for me that you think would lay in the winter without artificial lighting (as I also heard heat lamps can be dangerous left in the coops). Like, maybe you could name ten breeds that lay fine in all seasons; or half of them lay best in the summer, etc., you know?
Thanks a bunches. :)

P.S. Sorry if some things are hard to understand; I'm not very good at wording things clearly, but I hope you all know what I mean.

Most of my breeds lay through their first winter, I like Orpingtons, Australorp, barred rocks, Ancona, and Easter eggers.

If fed a higher protein feed some hens will molt quickly for their first adult molt and resume laying quicker.

Getting a few replacements each year in April to June will keep you in eggs. I definitely get less eggs in winter, but I don't run out.

Back
Top Bottom