Winter heating

Jsmith75

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Central Illinois
When we put the chicks outside in May we used heat lamps to keep the coop warm. With winter approaching I'm starting to worry about keeping it warm enough. Most of my flock are adults (6mo) we have ducks and chickens. But I also currently have 6 week old chicks still inside. It gets cold here in winter its not out of the realm of possibilities for -20° F. Snow, sleet and wind. The coop is sturdy and I'm sealing off the solar vent in the roof for winter. But keeping it warm, keeping water from freezing and not burning the flock or coop down is really important! What does everyone use?

Some people heat the coop.
Some people don't.

I live in Wisconsin and we will have weeks where we are below -30F. I have a heat lamp ready to use so I don't have to mess with it in the winter. I have it hooked up to a timer. I will have the heat lamp come on for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night during these really cold spells. If it gets below -30F, the heat lamp stays on longer. I don't leave it on all the time because they really don't need it all day and night, they also need to be prepared and use to the weather if you lose electricity for some time.

the timer is a great idea. I’m in Chicago and preparing for my first winter. Only had my chicks for 3 days so far!
what hours do you do? I’m thinking 5am-8am and then 4pm-11pm?
I’m so nervous!!!! Thanks in advance!

Some people heat the coop.
Some people don't.

I live in Wisconsin and we will have weeks where we are below -30F. I have a heat lamp ready to use so I don't have to mess with it in the winter. I have it hooked up to a timer. I will have the heat lamp come on for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night during these really cold spells. If it gets below -30F, the heat lamp stays on longer. I don't leave it on all the time because they really don't need it all day and night, they also need to be prepared and use to the weather if you lose electricity for some time.

the timer is a great idea. I’m in Chicago and preparing for my first winter. Only had my chicks for 3 days so far!
what hours do you do? I’m thinking 5am-8am and then 4pm-11pm?
I’m so nervous!!!! Thanks in advance!
I don't put chicks outside until they are feathered around 7-8 weeks old. Otherwise, they will need a heat lamp all day/night.
Right now my heat lamp is ready to use but I haven't used it yet, maybe late November/December I may have to use it but definitely in January for those below -30F weeks.
I also get a lot of wind from the West so I built my coop on the East side of my detached garage so they get a great windbreak. I also winterize the run so that no snow gets in unless they really want snow to eat, then I will shovel some into the run for them.
My heat lamp comes on from 6-7am and then 6-7pm at night on cold days. If it is one of those really cold days, I will extend the light until maybe 8 or 9 depending on the weather and then at night maybe 5-8. I don't like messing with their sleep habits at night by keeping the light on too long.

Winter don't usually get to bad here. But they have. I have a thermo cube that turns on a fish tank heater and or heat lamp on when it gets below a certain temp. I don't normally use the la.p much

Last edited:
I live in TN, so we have really mild winters. But the fact is that chickens are built to withstand the great outdoors and I have read the blogs of several Northerners who recommend that you not heat the coop. What they do is put up plastic in the run and/or stack hay bails outside the run to shield them from snow, freezing rain, etc. I have read that having the proper amount of chickens that your coop was built for is enough generated body heat to keep them warm. I have also read that heat lamps are a recipe for disaster. Flat panel heaters are far better and easier on the electric bill. Winter in the coop comes down to one important thing for me, and that is ventilation. I built my coop with east/west doors and north/south doors AND a big narrow door at the top of the back of the coop to stay open in winter, even if all other doors are shut.

I'm sealing off the solar vent in the roof for winter.
Do not seal this off, they need ventilation in winter too.
The first winter is nerve racking, but you'll be surprised how tough they are.
Post some pics of your coop, inside and out, as we can help you prepare.

Better to heat the waterer than the whole coop.
Lots of different ways to do that, this is waht I use:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

here in winter
Where is "here"?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603633450906.png

Thank you all for your replies ( I added my location in my profile I'm in central IL) I'll have to get pics of the coop and run we modified the kids old tree house the thing is sturdy! But pics will explain better. The windows get closed when its cold and I leave the door from coop to run open all the time but they get let out into the yard all day. We plan to line the run with hay bales and for winter the top of the run is covered with an extra tarped and covered spot on one side because our ducks like that spot during the day. I've read a tin of other people's posts so I think most of it is nerves since its our first winter.

My chicks start out in the coop from day one. I live in MN and the nights get down to the 20s and 30s in April and May. I use a heating pad brooder (I don’t know how to add the link on my phone, but look up the Mama Heating Pad thread). My chicks are fully feathered and off heat by the time they’re 4-5 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom