winter help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Josh Small, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Josh Small

Josh Small Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2016
    Winger time is coming up very soon how to prepare my chicken.and will they egg in winter time.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Make sure they are in a dry, well ventilated coop that offers protection from the elements and doesn't allow drafts to blow directly on them. Make sure they have fresh food and water. I use heated dog dishes to keep my water thawed.

A pullet may lay through the winter, an adult hen that'a gone through a molt, likely not.

Just curious OP - what state do you live in? What are your winters like?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Has no one taken the bait yet??

I will......lol!!!

Cheers!

4. yolksonus

yolksonus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Barrington NH
    This will be our girls second winter in NH. We started with six and lost three over the spring/summer. I hate using a heat lamp but we had some pretty cold nights last winter so used it a few times. This winter, now that we are down to three hens, I may use the heat lamp more. Last winer we got 5-6 eggs a day. The girls were apparently pretty happy! We have a light in the coop that goes on at sundown for a couple hours and then comes back on around 6 am for an hour or two until it is light out. Last winter I lined the run with shower curtain liners to keep the gusts from hetting to the girls. We fed corn, seeds/nuts and mealworms for snacks usually at night. The coop is well ventilated which kept moister down but allowed for the coop to be ventilated. We also have a water warmer that is on a timer and will turn on when temps ho below 32F. The warmer is a lighbulb fixter with a 60 watt bulb attached to a brick paver thats square. My husband put a cement block over/around the bulb and the watwe goes on top. [​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Sorry......Actually thought you were another scam thread....I see that you are not........

I heat my Coop all winter....I live in Canada....Central Alberta....Brrrrrrrrr!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by