Winter in my crazy run build

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
I just wanted to give an update on my half(quarter?) cattle panel hoop covered run. I didn't do everything I'd hoped of course, but it's working out well. I thought I needed to completely waterproof the ceiling joints where the panels meet but there's really no need as a run. Slow drips in heavy rain aren't a big deal.

The structure is about 16x12. The winter sun does indeed warm it up nicely in there. I put 2+ feet of fallen leaves down in the fall which the chickens enjoy digging in. They shrank fast, I needed more!

It's withstood 18 inches of heavy snow. I do clean it off when we get hammered but I don't fear collapse, just better safe than sorry. Plus the snow blocks the sun which defeats the purpose.
20181202_115609.jpg

You can see in pic below how the snow drifted deep on the flatter area where the coop itself stopped the wind. It held!
20181128_071708.jpg

Very pleasant for birds and their friends.
20181129_132638.jpg

I used a woven shade cover in the summer which really helped keep it cool.
20180521_104454.jpg
My poultry guardian dog may or may not have been sneaking on the feed here. He sure loves laying in the leaves on wet muddy days!
20181112_150220.jpg

Awesome!!!
So cool to see an update!
Such a prodigious undertaking, but you got 'er done and now it's paying off big time.

Is it just the camera angle or does that LGD have a really long tail?

Awesome!!!
So cool to see an update!
Such a prodigious undertaking, but you got 'er done and now it's paying off big time.

Is it just the camera angle or does that LGD have a really long tail?
Hi again @aart ! Yes it's great to have the extra indoor space.

That tail... well it's usually curled up but does seem a bit long. He's a kangal but I call him a kangal-roo because it's the thickest tail I've ever seen. Maybe he'll grow into it!

I just wanted to give an update on my half(quarter?) cattle panel hoop covered run. I didn't do everything I'd hoped of course, but it's working out well. I thought I needed to completely waterproof the ceiling joints where the panels meet but there's really no need as a run. Slow drips in heavy rain aren't a big deal.

The structure is about 16x12. The winter sun does indeed warm it up nicely in there. I put 2+ feet of fallen leaves down in the fall which the chickens enjoy digging in. They shrank fast, I needed more!

It's withstood 18 inches of heavy snow. I do clean it off when we get hammered but I don't fear collapse, just better safe than sorry. Plus the snow blocks the sun which defeats the purpose.
View attachment 1608980
You can see in pic below how the snow drifted deep on the flatter area where the coop itself stopped the wind. It held!
View attachment 1608995
Very pleasant for birds and their friends.
View attachment 1608990
I used a woven shade cover in the summer which really helped keep it cool.
View attachment 1608998 My poultry guardian dog may or may not have been sneaking on the feed here. He sure loves laying in the leaves on wet muddy days! View attachment 1609006
Love it!!! :eek::love:wee
I am also trying to beat winter while setting up my big duck pen. It is 16F here today but it’s supposed to be back up in the high 30s for 10 days. So hopefully I can get some work done. :fl

Back
Top Bottom