Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

This is my first winter to ever set eggs. Tomorrow in goes 148 chicken eggs. 48 Black Australorp, 48 Barred Rocks, 32 Mixed Japanese, 16 Swedish flower hen and 4 Buff/Barred Bantam Cochins.I will also be setting 24 Call Ducks. I have a New Genesis 1588 Incubator I will be trying out along with my 3 other Little Giant all fan forced incubators.So far I really like my Genesis it heats up rather quick and really does hold a steady temperature. I am new to the group I never usually post. All the Best! Doug

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck that is a lot of eggs.....
ep.gif

This is my first winter to ever set eggs. Tomorrow in goes 148 chicken eggs. 48 Black Australorp, 48 Barred Rocks, 32 Mixed Japanese, 16 Swedish flower hen and 4 Buff/Barred Bantam Cochins.I will also be setting 24 Call Ducks. I have a New Genesis 1588 Incubator I will be trying out along with my 3 other Little Giant all fan forced incubators.So far I really like my Genesis it heats up rather quick and really does hold a steady temperature. I am new to the group I never usually post. All the Best! Doug
welcome-byc.gif
That's a lot of eggs! Good luck!

I will be setting eggs for my first time ever on the 25th!

seven days to go I am getting all the brooder supplies ready washed and disinfected all feeders and waterers. I have two bulbs ready I learned to always have a backup handy incase the bulb blows out during the night when the stores are closed. I ordered the EcoGlow brooder from Brinsea but just incase it doesn't arrive before they hatch the lamps are ready. Next week I will purchase the chick feed and we should be ready to go. The Marek's vaccine was delivered on Tuesday and I have plenty of syringes, alcohol and cotton balls. I am so excited as most of these eggs are from my own flock.

I just set 13 Cochin and 7 Cochin/Orpingtons last night. This is my first time incubating :S . It's getting a little borderline obsessive how often I check to make sure the temperature is right where I want it.

seven days to go I am getting all the brooder supplies ready washed and disinfected all feeders and waterers. I have two bulbs ready I learned to always have a backup handy incase the bulb blows out during the night when the stores are closed. I ordered the EcoGlow brooder from Brinsea but just incase it doesn't arrive before they hatch the lamps are ready. Next week I will purchase the chick feed and we should be ready to go. The Marek's vaccine was delivered on Tuesday and I have plenty of syringes, alcohol and cotton balls. I am so excited as most of these eggs are from my own flock.
When you get it will you please post pics of the underside? I have made one out of flexwatt and was just wanting to know what it looked like really.

It is ok..... check the temps often.... I just lost my last hatch all 18 babies. My thermostat blew and the temps reached 113* and killed them ALL!
hit.gif
Poor babies..... I have also had a bulb blow TWICE in the brooder with the previous batch and lost 2 babies.... this has not been a good week...
he.gif

We replaced the thermostat today and I will be testing all weekend before I put more eggs in the hatcher. AND not only will I have plenty of extra bulbs, I am going to put another light with a thermostat so if the temps drop too much it will come on and maybe save some babies next time.

DON'T get paranoid because of what happened to me, it really was just a fluke. I think hubby would let me put all my eggs in the incubator now lol

wow thats nerve wrecking !! I lost my first batch last christmas. I never new why. they were fully formed . Now trying a different way by leaving in eggs in egg cartons, hopfully this time will hatch ! Jan 28th.

It is ok..... check the temps often.... I just lost my last hatch all 18 babies. My thermostat blew and the temps reached 113* and killed them ALL!
hit.gif
Poor babies..... I have also had a bulb blow TWICE in the brooder with the previous batch and lost 2 babies.... this has not been a good week...
he.gif

We replaced the thermostat today and I will be testing all weekend before I put more eggs in the hatcher. AND not only will I have plenty of extra bulbs, I am going to put another light with a thermostat so if the temps drop too much it will come on and maybe save some babies next time.

DON'T get paranoid because of what happened to me, it really was just a fluke. I think hubby would let me put all my eggs in the incubator now lol

wow thats nerve wrecking !! I lost my first batch last christmas. I never new why. they were fully formed . Now trying a different way by leaving in eggs in egg cartons, hopfully this time will hatch ! Jan 28th.

Mine all hatched. That was the bad part. I have used the egg carton thing... I have stopped. I had 2 pip upside down and die... that was the end of that for me.

My incubator run non stop, my last set Lemon cuckoo orp,and Black copper marans.
They almost sold and not even hatch yet.
Hatch is so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom