Winter is almost upon us, you know what that means!

Pics
It works very well. I mix up 1 ounce Mrs. Wages pickling lime per quart of water in a pitcher, CAREFULLY lay fresh, unwashed, CLEAN eggs in a container, cover completely with lime solution, cap and date. I’ve used eggs from this spring preserved that way in the most exquisite French silk pie for dessert today.
I waterglassed eggs two different times. Both times, when I cracked open the eggs, the yolk broke. Every time. Not a problem, unless, like hubby, you want them over easy.

@WTCH Ho Dog, when you crack them open, do the yolks break? I did the very method you described.

I waterglassed eggs two different times. Both times, when I cracked open the eggs, the yolk broke. Every time. Not a problem, unless, like hubby, you want them over easy.

@WTCH Ho Dog, when you crack them open, do the yolks break? I did the very method you described.
I honestly don’t pay attention, because I’m usually using them in baking, so I just smack ‘em and drop them in. I’ll try some for breakfast in the next few days, see how they hold up. We always scramble or beat for omelettes, but I’ll pay attention 😁

I honestly don’t pay attention, because I’m usually using them in baking, so I just smack ‘em and drop them in. I’ll try some for breakfast in the next few days, see how they hold up. We always scramble or beat for omelettes, but I’ll pay attention 😁
So, I did pay attention this morning. The first egg into the measuring cup (with a splash of heavy cream, room temperature) was out of the fridge, because I had taken it out of the lime last night and didn’t use it, but it couldn’t go back into the lime. The other 3 were room temperature, straight out of the lime. None of the four yolks broke until I whisked them. Maybe wash and refrigerate the breakfast eggs the night before using?
20231129_093414.jpeg
20231129_095315.jpeg
20231129_101530.jpeg

So far I’ve found they’re a bit thicker than fresh eggs, but they make great omelettes and scrambled eggs.
So happy to hear that! I'm new at all this egg preservation so just did 3 dozen "test batches" using the silicone muffin cups like you did and also experimented with waterglassing (3 half-gallon jars so about 35-48 total). So far my 8 pullets (7 different breeds) are still laying 4 to 5 eggs/day but they only started laying in September so very young. Very curious to see what quality the preserved eggs have when I need to start using them later in winter...

It works very well. I mix up 1 ounce Mrs. Wages pickling lime per quart of water in a pitcher, CAREFULLY lay fresh, unwashed, CLEAN eggs in a container, cover completely with lime solution, cap and date. I’ve used eggs from this spring preserved that way in the most exquisite French silk pie for dessert today.
Oh, good, thanks! That's exactly how I did it, hope mine turn out that well. I put them in 3 half-gallon jars in October as an experiment & haven't disturbed them, time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom