Winter is almost upon us, you know what that means!

Pics

fluffycrow

Chasing broodies
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2023
Attica Greece
No eggs
turkydance1.gif

For some of us, that's nothing new. For others, this is all new, and they're not sure what to do. So, what do you do to ensure you have some reserves for cooking and consumption?

Please share so that other peeps can take what they like and apply it to their situation.

From the 10 adult hens and 3 laying pullets here we're getting 3 eggs a day. 8 of them semi-non laying, 2 are brooding/raising chicks, and the three pullets are well...pullet-ing. The younger pullets are expected to lay in the next few months, at which point the old girls would have completely stopped. This usually works for us

We heat our coop all winter so it doesn't freeze. These silkies lay half as much all winter but still lay. That's not much when you consider they're not a heavy layer in the first place. 😊

It's all good until Feb/March when I want to save some eggs for hatching and we're only getting enough to eat. They'll get back to normal nearly by then though.

I would still love to see someone post how to freeze eggs as that waterglassing sounded like too much work for me.

We heat our coop all winter so it doesn't freeze. These silkies lay half as much all winter but still lay. That's not much when you consider they're not a heavy layer in the first place. 😊

It's all good until Feb/March when I want to save some eggs for hatching and we're only getting enough to eat. They'll get back to normal nearly by then though.

I would still love to see someone post how to freeze eggs as that waterglassing sounded like too much work for me.

I've never had to heat the coops, thankfully. It doesn't get that cold here for it. By March, I too am overflowing with eggs. Giving them to neighbors left and right. Interesting that silkies continue to lay a bit through winter

Winter means no hatching so it's when I get an overabundance of eating eggs.

When I had flocks mostly consisting of ISA brown and leghorn, winter egg drought wasn't really a problem. I'm sure you've got WAY more birds than me though, so even just a few of your birds laying would be able to sustain you. I am curious though, have you noticed a difference in egg production based on the colour of the leghorn?

I'm buying eggs right now. :oops: I didn't waterglass enough of them. I have a pullet who will be laying Any. Day. Now. But not today.

I have 4 more pullets who will probably get it in gear around New Years. Maybe when my 2 and 3 year old hens are back to work.

I have not yet caved! Although I have a feeling that 2 LF eggs and 2 serama eggs (if it's a good week) won't cut it. As Debbie said before, how does waterglassing work? Hope that one pullet lays soon. I remember you saying you've been waiting on her for some time

I've never had to heat the coops, thankfully. It doesn't get that cold here for it. By March, I too am overflowing with eggs. Giving them to neighbors left and right. Interesting that silkies continue to lay a bit through winter
We heat more for me than them as on the worst days we'd have just brought them in the garage as we can turn on the heat in there. I just refuse to haul water and this way our 5-gallon nipple bucket won't freeze and that's good for a month. All I have to do is find time to trudge out there and get the eggs and check on them or if it's too nasty, I wait until hubby comes home and he'll do it.

I really hope I can convince him to get us a "winter" home in the south somewhere. Dad's in Florida right now, but I wouldn't want to go that far. Just a few states south of Wisconsin would be better lol.

We heat more for me than them as on the worst days we'd have just brought them in the garage as we can turn on the heat in there. I just refuse to haul water and this way our 5-gallon nipple bucket won't freeze and that's good for a month. All I have to do is find time to trudge out there and get the eggs and check on them or if it's too nasty, I wait until hubby comes home and he'll do it.

I really hope I can convince him to get us a "winter" home in the south somewhere. Dad's in Florida right now, but I wouldn't want to go that far. Just a few states south of Wisconsin would be better lol.

Oof, I get why you'd like somewhere slightly warmer. I'd imagine winters there are quite harsh, so finding ways to limit your time outside in the cold makes a lot of sense. How warm do you keep it?

Back
Top Bottom