Winter is coming...What is left on your to-do list?

Pics
Love the DIY grommets too.

I got my 6mil plastic up. I don't cover the whole run Since it is gigantic. Just the North side to block snow coming in from that side.

I got an extension cord for the small heated water dish. That will sit in the chick brooder area as I still have a small group using it.

I got an extension cord
I had no way to run electric to the run, so I got a heavy duty exterior grade extension cord. (Look for one that contractors would use.) We drilled a hole through the garage wall, plugged the cord into an outlet in the garage, and strung it above ground to the run. It has to span about 6 feet, so very doable. I spent a few bucks extra and got one with 3 receptacles. I am so glad I did. One for the water bowl, one for a string of lights. 3rd one for... something else someday.

I had no way to run electric to the run, so I got a heavy duty exterior grade extension cord. (Look for one that contractors would use.) We drilled a hole through the garage wall, plugged the cord into an outlet in the garage, and strung it above ground to the run. It has to span about 6 feet, so very doable. I spent a few bucks extra and got one with 3 receptacles. I am so glad I did. One for the water bowl, one for a string of lights. 3rd one for... something else someday.

Luckily my coop has power. The outlets are up high.....yeah not the best when the water dish comes with a 6' cord.

Does your garage have a GFCI outlet?

Also, I see I'm not the only one decorating the run for Christmas! Clearly that's essential winter prep.
Absolutely essential.
1700600946404.png

That's what I did, too, except I didn't drill a hole into the garage, I just fed the cord through one of the windows, which I leave cracked year round anyway, to get some fresh air in there. My coop is about 50 feet from the garage, so I got an extra long cord and ran it behind the bushes that line the property line between the garage and the coop. Mine has 3 receptacles, too, very convenient, though I also use a splitter because I have a couple of cameras, the water bowl, lights for Christmas, and fans in the summer. Everything plugs in high up near the coop's ceiling, so the chickens can't mess with the cords.

Does your garage have a GFCI outlet?
Yes. Hubby swapped out the "plain" one in the garage ceiling for a GFCI. I thought it was strange, having the outlet in the ceiling, but have since seen that is pure genius! Provided you have a way to reach it, of course. No tripping over cords. No having to clear "stuff" out of the way to get to the outlet.

The cord is ziptied to the hardware cloth in the run, up out of reach of the chickens.

Yes. Hubby swapped out the "plain" one in the garage ceiling for a GFCI. I thought it was strange, having the outlet in the ceiling, but have since seen that is pure genius! Provided you have a way to reach it, of course. No tripping over cords. No having to clear "stuff" out of the way to get to the outlet.

The cord is ziptied to the hardware cloth in the run, up out of reach of the chickens.

GOOD! Safety first.
The garage ceiling ones are usually used for garage door openers.

I had to look up mast year, too :oops: Very cool indeed! I have definitely noticed some years the oaks get surrounded by a carpet of acorns. Never gave it much thought. One thing that doesn't add up though is why it would make the leaves any bigger? From what I read, mast year is about producing an abundant crop of nuts/seeds, it's not related to leaf size?
not the size, the big leaf maple's leaves are always enormous. however there's a lot of a lot more leaves to go with the seed abundance :)

Back
Top Bottom