Winter is coming...

I make my own suet, and once or twice a week I fill several of those little wire suet cages you can buy and hang them in the run. Not only is the extra protein and fat helpful in winter, but them having to work a bit to get it out makes for great boredom busters when they are more likely to be confined in bad weather.

I would love your recipe for this. I want to try my hand at making my own too.

Gosh, did they poop all over it? I would love to give them a blankie during winter but I would probably have to give them a new one daily!

Surprisingly they did not poop all over it.. Because it was a perch and the blanket was not that long. Obviously some poop got on it, just not the crazy amount we all are imagining lol.

Surprisingly they did not poop all over it.. Because it was a perch and the blanket was not that long. Obviously some poop got on it, just not the crazy amount we all are imagining lol.

When mine were busy destroying the bathroom because I took forever to put the coop/run up they loved the towels. They actually pulled a couple down to sleep on them.

When mine were busy destroying the bathroom because I took forever to put the coop/run up they loved the towels. They actually pulled a couple down to sleep on them.
Where in Illininois are you? I'm just outside of PONTIAC. It would be nice to have a BYC person close, I'm new at all this chicken stuff. I do love my girls!
I'm very afraid of this winter, it'll be my first with my girls. My coop is not ready for winter. It will never be. It is in my barn. The roof leaks, the old boards on the exterior are falling to the ground daily! I never know if it will be standing from day to day. My husband doesn't want to work on it, he works very long hours. I can't afford to hire someone to help. I'm so worried! Somethings have to be done before winter. I'm not physically able to do it all myself.
My chicks were hatched May 25th. They started laying this week!
Kim

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    812.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 6
I know its been a while but thought id give everyone an update on our winterizing process. We finally got power hooked up to the coop yesterday. We installed a humidistat connected to a fan to controll the humidity. We installed a light on a timer to keep light in there so egg production wont drop off. We also purchased a heated dog bowl to keep in the run or coop (undecided on location because its quite large). Its 50 degrees out this morning and the temperature in the coop was 58.

We installed a humidistat connected to a fan to controll the humidity.
Will this fan exhaust air from coop when humidity reaches a certain point inside coop?
Does it compare inside and outside humidity levels?
You can't make a coop less humid inside than it is outside.
I can't remember what your location is :rolleyes:.

Will this fan exhaust air from coop when humidity reaches a certain point inside coop?
Does it compare inside and outside humidity levels?
You can't make a coop less humid inside than it is outside.
I can't remember what your location is :rolleyes:.
Northern indiana. The humidistat takes the inside humidity and turns the fan on once it reaches a certain level and turns it off once the humidity level has gone to an acceptable level. You can adjust it to the humidity level you would like. Its really neat but costly. About 30 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom