I have a few that are now 10 months old, but started molting about a month ago. They are about done and have grown most of their feathers back.

This is the first year in 25 that I can remember young birds molting. My 13 are 9 months old & two (1EE & 1 Austarlorp) have been molting for the last several weeks. Since Thanksgiving I am down from 10 eggs a day to 4-6.

That looks more like rooster wearing from too much mating. I'm assuming you have a rooster.
Yes with 5 hens. 3 of the 5 hens are similar... this is he first season I have had chickens so I thought it was part of the molt. Would this effect the frequency of egg laying? Also, so I need to get rid of the rooster??

The stress of being mated repeatedly can affect laying and health. You can get rid of the rooster or separate him out. You should have more hens for a better rooster to hen ratio, although sometimes it doesn't matter as some roosters will continue to mate a select few too much.

You can also try hen saddles, but I find it's easier to manage the rooster instead of hens wearing saddles which can cause problems like rubbing, and allowing external parasites to get out of control.

F76A3C48-7EB2-4AAF-8F10-A9D793F1B509.jpeg
10 months Is this molting or something else??
View attachment 1223019
Work of a rooster. Picture of my hen

Recommended is 10-15 hens per rooster. Some can have a lower amount, like bantams, and some can be better with even more hens.

Sorry for all the questions... so if I want to keep my rooster by adding a few pullets, how old should they be before I try and integrate them? He is a beautiful EE and I wanted to mate him with my new Marans next summer for olive colored egg layers...

Sorry for all the questions... so if I want to keep my rooster by adding a few pullets, how old should they be before I try and integrate them? He is a beautiful EE and I wanted to mate him with my new Marans next summer for olive colored egg layers...
I always integrate my new ones at 4-8 weeks of age. I find it easier than trying to integrate older birds who are often viewed as intruders, as opposed to chicks that are a natural addition to a flock.

How old are your pullets? What does your setup look like? The bigger the better, and the easier it will be.

I always integrate my new ones at 4-8 weeks of age. I find it easier than trying to integrate older birds who are often viewed as intruders, as opposed to chicks that are a natural addition to a flock.

How old are your pullets? What does your setup look like? The bigger the better, and the easier it will be.
I could move the hens around to correct the ratio, just want to make sure I don’t lose any of my flock...
I have a larger coop with 9 pullets from ranging from 10-20 weeks. 11.5’x13’.
1 — 21 weeks
4 — 16 weeks
3 — 12 weeks
1 — 9 weeks
1 cockerele (sapphire super blue) keeping for the blue gene

5 hens (10 months) in the smaller coop about 8’x10’ with the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom