Winter Open Air Coop and Free Ranging in Cooler Climates?

Best thing i have found, get a thermometer! and watch for condensation build up. My big hen coop is well vented, and has a big window which is right by their roost. I have found watching the actual birds tells you a lot about what is working and what isn't.

My birds wintered just fine last year, and the absolutely yo-yo of a fall were having is not proving to cause any concerns either. Perhaps, one day i may try an open air but i do know for it to work it has to be on the right scale, i have no need for such largeness all the chicken breeds combined amount to only 15 lol

Hi all, thanks for this discussion thread, I was actually wondering how my chicks are going to do during their first winter. We built our coop based on different design ideas but still not sure about draft/ventilation/open air. They are four Chanteclers in our small urban (Montréal) coop. We open/close daily the small door giving access to the small run but have the impression that opening that door leads to a draft inside. Also we have opening for ventilation on the roof sides but they took the habit of jumping up and sleeping right beside them, but I guess the cold wind will blow in this winter...aaahhh so many worries, and they havent even started laying yet!!!
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom