Winter plans

LBCoach

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2018
Hi all!
Just looking for advice on anticipating a cold winter. Has anyone tried a battery operated heater that they would recommend? I don’t have electricity near my coop. And does anyone have any other tips on keeping my hens warm for the winter?
Thanks!

Welcome To BYC

Can you tell us your location (state/country) this will give us a better idea of what your winter temperatures may be like.
How is your coop made - providing us with photos would be helpful too:)
What breed of chickens do you have and how many?

Generally speaking chickens do not need heat in the winter as long as the coop provides protection from the wind and is adequately free of drafts. That does not mean closing the coop up tight in winter, you still need plenty of ventilation - air flow.

Look forward to more information and photos.

I live in Oregon and it gets super cold where I live.

To keep hens warm:
#1 always keep water out for them
#2 if the inside of your coop has windows keep the closed but, keep one slightly opened so it dosent get moist in the coop... Then u will have frostbite...
#3 more the merrier... Body heat helps too.
#4 add corn into there regular feed it's harder to digest so there bodies have to work harder thus, keeping them warmer.

I had chickens go through -20 at night for a week in 1994 my first winter, with no ill effect. I keep all my windows open except the vents over the roost. Ventilation is good, but not drafts.

Hi all!
Just looking for advice on anticipating a cold winter. Has anyone tried a battery operated heater that they would recommend? I don’t have electricity near my coop. And does anyone have any other tips on keeping my hens warm for the winter?
Thanks!

Heating your coop is risky and unnecessary. Your coop should be dry, draft free, and well ventilated at the top, above where the chickens roost. This is all they need. I have 8-10 week old chicks in my coop currently and we were in single digits last night and had snow and 45 mph winds all day yesterday. They're all just fine. Unless you are talking about very young chicks or are in a place where the temps are routinely -30 degrees, you should be fine. Your biggest challenge will be keeping your water from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom