winter rest for hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingsfarm, Jan 7, 2012.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    want to give hens a rest....now Jan. is a good time to put the roosters in a seperate pen ... does else do this? I am not interested in hatching eggs right now and you don't need a rooster for eggs....does this sound like an ok thing to do? Just wondering I read a lot about putting a light in the coop but nothing about giving them a rest...what do you think? We have 4 roosters and 36 hens...

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I don't necessarily give them a rest, but I don't add supplemental lighting to encourage egg laying either. Some of the girls lay a few here and there and some don't. I just let them do their thing.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I don't give my hens a break from the roosters. The roosters I have/had aren't all that ut-hum "active" in the wintetime anyhow. My girls do get a break from the biggest stress to their bodies - egglaying - because I don't force production with the additon of artifical lighting.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have never heard of that, unless there was a health reason.....[​IMG]

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Do your hens have bare spots from too much attention? Are the roosters rough with the hens? Those are the only reasons I can think of to separate the males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by