Dec 31, 2019
So I live in California and it can get wet and cold so....
Can anyone share tips on winter proofing the coop for show chickens?
Share pictures of your set up and all that please. I don’t know if this is the right thread...

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI/ Prior Lake, MN
While I'm new to chicken-keeping, I'm quite certain my winterized coop is both "warm" and well ventilated. Live in N. Wisconsin and the last two weeks we've had freezing rain, wind and snow. My chickens are - so far - doing fine in their coop and run area. My coop and run have hardware cloth sides. For winterizing, I had a local sign shop make up some corrugated plastic panels for the sections of the run (coop came with them) - cost about $40. I drilled holes at top and bottom and used plastic zip ties to secure. The top part of the sides has cedar fencing and there are some nice gaps to help with ventilation as well as the plastic inserts aren't firm/tight in their sections - there is some open space. For the plastic on the doors, I did leave some of the hardware cloth open at the top to help with ventilation. Was out there to sit with them for a bit when it was snowstorm and while no wind, could smell the fresh, colder air moving through. I built a heated roost bar and that turns on at 35 degrees, otherwise no other heat source. Their waterer has an aquatic heater and the water has vertical brass nipples that are springs and they have not frozen. My chickens don't care for it so I do bring warm water out for them each day. Maybe something like this - even for part of your coop/run?
IMG-1928.jpg

Dec 31, 2019
While I'm new to chicken-keeping, I'm quite certain my winterized coop is both "warm" and well ventilated. Live in N. Wisconsin and the last two weeks we've had freezing rain, wind and snow. My chickens are - so far - doing fine in their coop and run area. My coop and run have hardware cloth sides. For winterizing, I had a local sign shop make up some corrugated plastic panels for the sections of the run (coop came with them) - cost about $40. I drilled holes at top and bottom and used plastic zip ties to secure. The top part of the sides has cedar fencing and there are some nice gaps to help with ventilation as well as the plastic inserts aren't firm/tight in their sections - there is some open space. For the plastic on the doors, I did leave some of the hardware cloth open at the top to help with ventilation. Was out there to sit with them for a bit when it was snowstorm and while no wind, could smell the fresh, colder air moving through. I built a heated roost bar and that turns on at 35 degrees, otherwise no other heat source. Their waterer has an aquatic heater and the water has vertical brass nipples that are springs and they have not frozen. My chickens don't care for it so I do bring warm water out for them each day. Maybe something like this - even for part of your coop/run? View attachment 2387980
Ooh cool ok

Top Bottom