Winter storm coming what if???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Teresaann24, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The electric goes off will my 4 week old silkies be ok without their heating lamp? They are inside kept in my Laundry room.

I just want to know will they be ok without their heat for a few hours if the electric does go out?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Inside yes, outside no.

3. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Yep you are good. They should have most of their feathers by now and should not need heat if they are in an enclosed space without a draft.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    They are kept in my laundry room in a large top with a lid I have have vent toles in the top...Wait a sec I'll get a pic.

Here is what they are kept in...not the biggest or best thing but its kept them warm and healthy and they are growing like weeds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Do you have a thermometer in with them? How have you been lowering the temperature each week? If you haven't lowered the temp ever, you might remove the lid completely and make one out of just the chicken wire. Their heat requirements go down a little each week as they mature. If they are still at 90/95, that may be way too hot even if they are growing well, you want them to aclimatize so they don't go into shock when they finally feel cooler temps.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How many do you have? That tub looks like it would keep alot of heat, you should probably be turning the light off during the daytime anyway - and keeping an eye on the temps at night.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I was thinking the same thing as sussex...it looks to be quite warm in there without holes in the sides of the box for air. Especially for 4 week old silkies. You may just want to remove the cover and raise the light a bit IMO. But yes, I agree with the others also...they will be just fine without heat if they are in the house.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    lets see there are 3 chicks...Umm the bulb is a 25watt there is a themomenter in there it reads like 70 degress I just recently added the lid because they can jump out now. The bulb was a 100watt then i lowered it to a 60 watt not down to the 25watt. They seem to be doing fine not painting or flaring there wings from there bodies. I have been though the day aadding a stick and lifting one side up and only closing the lid at night because we turn off the heat in the kitchen.

So Should I start turning the heating lamp off through the day and only using it at night? Should I add some holes on the sides?

Thanks for all the suggestions but I was very aware of everything that could happen and made sure noone was too hot.

Anymore suggestions?

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I agree that it is probably too warm in there for them now. I would also put a screen top on and raise the light up alot higher. Actually at 4 weeks my birds were off light all togther, even outside in June when the nights are chilly here.
    You're doing a great job though...looks like you are intent on being a great chicken momma:>)

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    oh yes love my babies these are my first inside raised by me. So they are real special to me. I wasn't quite sure when it would be time to remove the lights I was going to wait till they were atleast 5 weeks old but if they can be without the lamp being INSIDE I think I will slowly start weaning them from the light then.

Everyone got me scared so I ran over and proped one side of the lid up with the stick I'v been using I'd rather have a loose chick in the house then one of my babies to die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by