Winter watering questions (Minnesota) and a few random questions too, lol!!

Nickichicki

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Isanti Minnesota
I live in Mn, it gets VERY cold up here.
hmm.png
I am wondering if anyone has come up with a genius idea on how to keep the water from freezing five minutes after it gets put out. I would LOVE to be able to water my hens 3 times a day however that is not realistic in the winter with work, kids, school activities and so on....I'm looking for a water tank heater idea maybe a self watering system...anything to really get my creative juices flowing would be helpful. I know summer is not even here but I dread the thought of losing one of my girls so I want to be sure I got all areas covered BEFORE we get to the point of no return. Thanks and any and ALL ideas are welcome!!!
caf.gif

Our coop is built inside a section of a very old barn that has 3 walls surrounding it. The coop is large, fully enclosed (except top) The top of the coop is currently open with only chicken wire to keep unwanted animals out. We have a door we can close to keep them in when the weather gets really bad and the run is open and could easily fit 300 to 400 chickens so they have pleanty of space! We plan to cover the roof with plywood. There will not be any insulation just ALOT of straw and warming lights to keep the ladies warm. This is and existing coop that I cant really do much too as I am a renter and we can only slightly modify it. Any suggestions on how to keep the birds warm would be appreciated too.
Oh FYI we will be keeping about 25 hens through the winter, that will give a better idea as to how much watering space we will need. Thanks again!! :)

They do sell heated Waterers ! I Don't have one so I trudge out a lot in the winter : ) Even in the very cold when you have several chickens and they are feathered they do not need to be in an insulated Building they will huddle together to keep warm. though I do have a light for them that serves to purposes Better winter Egg Production as they will not lay with out Light and a little extra heat .. Hope this Helps And Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
~Corinne

In winter, I put a bird bath heater in the water supply. It keeps the water from freezing.

Chickens don't need insulation in the coop. They have their down comforters. They do need a place free from drafts.

I don't use lights in winter, and still get the same number of eggs.

Chris

Let me start by saying I'm a cheapskate! But I finally splurged and bought the $40 heated waterer - LOVE IT!

You might need a couple with the number of birds you have, but it will be sooooo worth it. We just went through our second winter with it and I highly reccomend it. I believe any farm store carries them, or you can find it online.

I dropped one of these in a five gallon bucket with three nipples installed in the bottom. It was a warm winter this year. But we did have a couple of days in the 20's. No frozen water or nipples.

Back
Top Bottom