Winter won't end!

duckman14

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Cambridge mn
Hi everyone. In new to the chicken seen. We have 5 silkies that are 6 weeks old and 2 barred rocks that are 4 weeks old. I built them a coop outside and it's all ready to go. Only prob is that here in Minnesota we still have a foot if snow on the ground and its still getting down in the low teens over night. I'd really like to get these guys out of the house but is it still to cold to move these young girls out??

The older chicks may be o.k. outside in the coop as long as it's draught free and fairly well insulated. Are they fully feathered yet? If you can safely heat the coop, at least at night, that may be a solution for you.

Arrgh! I hear ya. We had snow yesterday... and this morning its in the 20's. This is the longest winter I can remember. Do you have the ability to place a brooder lamp in the coop to take the edge off? I really does depend on if they are feathered out and your ability to compensate for sudden drops in temperature.

Yeah I can put a couple heat lamps in there. Maybe ill do that overnight tonight and monitor the temp out there and see how cold it actualy gets in the coop. Thanks guys

Mine are 5 weeks old -- in the kitchen -- and I'm DYING to get them out of here! I have a small coop outside and had planned on them being there except for this endless cold and rain. I have a heat lamp set up, today it's sunny and no wind but still chilly. 48 degrees high with 32 at night.

Should I wait?

I could use some reassurance. HELP!

Mine are 5 weeks old -- in the kitchen -- and I'm DYING to get them out of here! I have a small coop outside and had planned on them being there except for this endless cold and rain. I have a heat lamp set up, today it's sunny and no wind but still chilly. 48 degrees high with 32 at night. Should I wait? I could use some reassurance. HELP!
Once they are fully (at around 6 weeks) feathered they will be able to regulate their body temperatures and handle the cooler temps better. In the meantime, if you put them outside use the heat lamp, so they'll have a warm spot to go to when they feel chilly. Also watch their behaviour. If the all huddle together and/or pile up chances are they are too cold and if they are spread out and stay away from the heat lamp they probably don't need it. If they are spread out and looking comfortable they're fine. Chances are they will also complain if they are too cold!

Mine are 5 weeks old -- in the kitchen -- and I'm DYING to get them out of here! I have a small coop outside and had planned on them being there except for this endless cold and rain. I have a heat lamp set up, today it's sunny and no wind but still chilly. 48 degrees high with 32 at night. Should I wait? I could use some reassurance. HELP!
Once they are fully (at around 6 weeks) feathered they will be able to regulate their body temperatures and handle the cooler temps better. In the meantime, if you put them outside use the heat lamp, so they'll have a warm spot to go to when they feel chilly. Also watch their behaviour. If the all huddle together and/or pile up chances are they are too cold and if they are spread out and stay away from the heat lamp they probably don't need it. If they are spread out and looking comfortable they're fine. Chances are they will also complain if they are too cold!
I have the same problem as Orp. Three chicks 5 wks - in kitchen - dust galore. I live in central Iowa with much the same temps and my chicks will be going into the chicken tractor until old enough to go in the coop late summer/early fall with the big girls. I'm planning on putting them out late mornings and afternoons to see how they handle it and bring them in at night since I can't put a heat lamp in there. At least I'll get some relief from the dust. They've gotten really rowdy. Will spring ever arrive?

I have just put mine in the basement.I had them in the living room the dust is so bad and I have a log house so my walls are thick with dust. It was 18 F. this morning, winter storm warnings, big snow drifts ugh!! Is spring ever coming??? I have 9 more day olds coming Thursday.
barnie.gif

Yeah, this weather... I used to LOVE rain. Not so sure anymore!

nan4848: I used to do that with my chicks, weather permitting at around 4-5 weeks I'd put them outside in the mornings and bring them in at night for about 2 weeks and then leave them outside all night. In Summer I took them out sooner than that even. It gave me chance to clean the brooder and the chicks got a chance to have a good scratch and a dust bath.

Back
Top Bottom