winterizing and coop humidity

My coop is 4' d x 3' w we had done a window in the front that is 30" x 10". I had originally placed acrylic over it for the winter last month- but after reading about the open air coop designs I realized I didn't have any ventilation and needed to add some. I know I don't have the same design as the open air coop but I think that it should still work well by not creating a draft and allowing them to have fresh air and let the stale air leave since the window is in the highest part of the coop. I was reluctant since I feared they would be cold- but in researching I think it is probably the best thing I can do for my girls.

Open Air Coop Concept.......Remember.......it only works if there is only ONE opening in the coop.

If there is more than one opening, you get flow through..... which can be detrimental.

thanks for confirming! The sides and back are buttoned up- so the only opening will be the front once I close them in for the evening with the pop door.

Last spring, we added 4 ducks to our 12 chickens, so we built a new chicken coop and moved the ducks into the old chicken coop. After building glass windows for the first coop that fit snuggly into the space where the screened windows opens up in the warmer weather, to save time and effort, my husband ordered 4 - single pane playhouse windows that come with screening and slide up and down like a regular window. I think they measured 12" X 24" and cost $30 each. The new coop is A framed 4' X 8' with ventilation at the top of the peak. We put two windows on the north side of the coop and two on the south. We reinforced the light weight screening that came in the windows with 1/4" hail screen to keep the critters out. So now they get both light and ventilation, which will be great in the winter when the chickens don't like to walk on the snow and have to stay in the coop.

We ended up with a rooster in the group of 5 chickens we added to our flock last spring. He's beautiful, but a pest to the hens.

Good luck with your humidity problem. I'd remove the water from inside the coop and see if that helps.

Rosie In KS

I am new at this but my chickens are on ten acres and I don't have electricity to there coop. We had a winter coop for them but,
We got ten more this October so I need to figure a way to get it warm and need suggestions! Thanks!

I am new at this but my chickens are on ten acres and I don't have electricity to there coop. We had a winter coop for them but,
We got ten more this October so I need to figure a way to get it warm and need suggestions! Thanks!

Unless it gets colder than -20F or you have non-cold-hardy breeds (most standard breeds are cold tolerant), you won't need heat. The birds create their own heat and they have all that warm down. I think someone on BYC recently found it documented that most chickens could survive to -47F or some horrid cold like that.

They key is to keep your coop well ventilated. It needs a LOT of ventilation, way more than most people have. Ventilation up high, above the birds, not directly onto their roosts. Search for user @aart , he has a good link in his signature line on coop ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom