Winterizing Nipple Waterers? UPDATE Really? No One Knows?

So glad to see recent additions to this post. I've read a few others and no definitive answers anywhere. I normally use a 2.5 gallon bucket with about 3 feet of pvc tubing with the vertical nipples. This winter I switched to the black plastic pail for watering. I also noticed that even though I drained the water from our system, 2 of the nipples popped right out of the pvc. We got down to -15F recently. Bringing the bucket in really isn't an option for me with the way it's setup. So I'm looking for some other solution.

Question for those that use the pump. I have 2 small pumps, one for an indoor fountain and one for a backyard pond. I've never tried a system like this, can you expand on how you have it setup? Maybe post some pics?
Use the smaller pumps, I had130-170-GPH and it was to fast the wawter didn't get a chance to drop out to the nipple. So I went to the 50-80-GPH Water Garden Fountain Pump and everything worked great. One thing to keep in mind is the pumps Maximum Lift (Inches) or head.

You don't want your water flying out of the hose, just a nice steady stream.

Thanks. I'll try our fountain pump first. I don't have any idea how to set it all up though. Can you post a pic? I'll google it too. I'm sure there's write ups on it out there somewhere.

serves
Thanks. I'll try our fountain pump first. I don't have any idea how to set it all up though. Can you post a pic? I'll google it too. I'm sure there's write ups on it out there somewhere.

Above is were I drilled the hole out of the cooler to run my lines in and out.

Below show how I made my connections. I wanted to end the hard PVC pipe and go to tubing so I can move the cooler around. My top pipe (return) is 3/4" inches and the bottom (supply) is 1/2".

Below you can see the 2 fish tank heaters and the small fountain pump. The cooler holds about 8 1/2 gallons and will last me just about 3 days in the winter.

Just shows how I cut out for the cords so that I can keep the lid as tightly sealed as I can.

Very important!!!! As you see below I installed pipe holders, this will help support the pipe when your chickens want to set up there and bend upside down to drink.

Oh and the the black stuff is header gasket sealer around the threads to make sure there was no leaking.

Here is a shot of how I did the u turn for the pipes. I used two 3/4" elbows and a 1/2' TO 3/4 adapter.

I have a total of 6 nipples on this set up and it seems to be good for my 40 birds

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Last edited:
mine is 250 watt, but I have horizontal nipples in stead of more usual vertical ones.

I found the vertical nipples froze, but since changing to horizontal nipples, have had no issues. (-25C today)

I think the vertical nipples are longer, so would be more prone to freezing as the extremely of the end of the water inside the nipple is further away?

either that or I just got lucky.

Could you please post a picture? :fl

Could you please post a picture?
fl.gif

sure - I'll try tomorrow

serves

Above is were I drilled the hole out of the cooler to run my lines in and out.

Below show how I made my connections. I wanted to end the hard PVC pipe and go to tubing so I can move the cooler around. My top pipe (return) is 3/4" inches and the bottom (supply) is 1/2".

Below you can see the 2 fish tank heaters and the small fountain pump. The cooler holds about 8 1/2 gallons and will last me just about 3 days in the winter.

Just shows how I cut out for the cords so that I can keep the lid as tightly sealed as I can.

Very important!!!! As you see below I installed pipe holders, this will help support the pipe when your chickens want to set up there and bend upside down to drink.

Oh and the the black stuff is header gasket sealer around the threads to make sure there was no leaking.

Here is a shot of how I did the u turn for the pipes. I used two 3/4" elbows and a 1/2' TO 3/4 adapter.

I have a total of 6 nipples on this set up and it seems to be good for my 40 birds

I hope this helps you and good luck.

Thanks! I have a 2.5 gallon bucket hanging on the side of the coop with PVC coming out the bottom and going under the coop with the nipples on it. My plan would be to put a connector on the end of that PVC that would connect to the soft tubing to go back to the bucket. My only question is how to connect the pump to the out line. I'm assuming I need soft tubing for that. Anyone know how to connect the pump to PVC? Should I just shove the plastic tube into the PVC?

Finally fought off frozen nipple disease successfully. Using flexible heat cord, I wrapped the bottom of a 5-gal bucket, trying to keep the cord close to the nipples as I duct taped it down. Since the cord is very malleable, I was able to touch each of the 5 nipples I had drilled into the bottom of the bucket. I duct taped the cord intensively. I believe that this will help with insulation as well (slightly).

For drilling the nipples, I used a 23/64" drill bit. This worked perfectly for the Avian Aquamiser brand nipples.

In regard to freezing water. The top of the bucket freezes in extreme cold, such as last night (-10/-15 here in MA). Regardless of the top of the bucket being frozen, I'm finding that the bottom of the bucket is still thawed and able to drip through the nipples.

The cord seems to generally counteract the nipples freezing up from water freezing on the tip. This morning, only one of the five nipples was frozen up, and it did not take much effort to knock it loose.

I can post photos if necessary, please make it known if you need these for clarification.

To clarify, when I write "wrapped the bottom of the bucket" I mean the UNDERSIDE of the bucket, not the SIDES of the bucket. I've tried both ways. The bottom of the bucket is the only way that works. Yes the chickens peck at the duct tape, and yes it will need to be replaced or reinforced. Nonetheless, they have water.

Back
Top Bottom