Winterizing Run

Or first winter we used 4 mil plastic. Picture attached. But we could not see through it. Last year we used clear shower curtains. Which are very clear pretty flimsy. So i took great care to wrap them around 1x2 boards. Then screwed into place. Lasted well. At a dollar a piece, ur wad a cheap solution. Shield from the wind. Let's what sun we get in. Chickens enjoyed the run all winter. I don't think multiple layers are needed in iur situation.

Attachments

• 20180107_075305.jpg
    20180107_075305.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 21
Seeing in is really more for the chickens as we too basically se in from the front which we do not plastic wrap.

In the spring we will be brooding in the run. So the clear plastic we think will allow the chicks to see more of the world around them. After the snow piles melt.
Let's in more sun too.

We are trying these corrugated pvc panels this year. I wanted to find something that lets more light in and couldn’t find thick enough roll plastic that aloud enough light and I don’t think clear shower curtains would be thick enough. We haven’t put it up yet.
82AA8994-5982-4D39-B3E8-1B6F55C8C147.png

This is how we did it the last 2 winters and have to use lights all day because it’s pretty dim in there.
0F64D152-B929-479A-85A3-8A2FECA7BA75.jpeg

We are trying these corrugated pvc panels this year.

Yes, I was going to recommend these too. We used them last winter and they held up perfectly. We labeled them by panel and side and then piled them under the porch for next year! They are pretty see through, but not really clear. I could see the girls moving around and tell who was who by color, but not much else.

I hope these panels work for you. I put some kind of corrugated clear "plastic" panels on our run March of '17. Bought them from Home Depot and they were ok for the most part UNTIL we had a thunder storm with hail, about the size of a cheery. Punched enough holes in the roofing that I pulled the plastic off and replaced with metal roofing. More expensive for sure and significantly darker, oh well, life is a compromise in many ways.

Yikes, I haven’t seen hail here except in the summer. I’m dealing with high winds and snow, maybe a little sleet. I hope they last longer than a season. When we build the coop I wanted to use these on the roof but my husband didn’t think they would hold up to the snow load.

Back
Top Bottom