Winterizing the Waterer

Alternate method to prevent water freezing

I have used this method for 30 years. Your concern about the birds digging up the manure has never happened. The temperatures get down to -30°F in our winters. In a milder climate, this method should prevent the water from ever freezing. In my climate, when the temperatures hit -20°F there is usually a thin layer of ice that can be easily removed in the morning and the water stays open all day.

So far this year the temps have only gotten down to the mid teens and there has not been any ice at all.
Is this in a coop or run or...?
Any problem with birds actually falling or stepping in the open bucket of water?
Did it work as well with chicken poop as the horse poop?

Any problem with birds actually falling or stepping in the open bucket of water?
I am currently using it in coops but have previously used it out in the open with equal success. Adult birds have no problem with open water. Young birds can fall in and die from hypothermia. It is possible to build a cover that only allows as much access as a normal water fount that would make it possible to use with young birds. Young birds should never be exposed to open water sources that are deeper than they can step out of.

I believe that fresh horse manure is more effective than chicken droppings but my horse died many years ago so I have used chicken and guinea droppings with great success.

I'm a first year chicken owner & was looking into the same deal...aquarium heater vs deicer, etc. and came across a 5G heated waterer for about $40 delivered. I don't have a link, but I bought it online from State Line Tack. They were having a 1st time buyer sale of 25% off. If interested, search "Farm Innovators Heated Poultry Fountain" on their site.
Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

From what i read it was in the run. No mention of birds falling in. I was thinking i could put a waterer on top of the poop pile after a bit of sand added on top. I am sure chicken poop would work fine, it is "hot" compost , you can't put it right on plants.

I like this idea! I really dont want to run electricity out to the coop if we don't have to.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but would heat tape help keep the water even more warm? or would that just block the manure from heating the bucket....
or would putting heat tape just on the exposed part at the top help keep it from icing over on the top part?

I like this idea! I really don't want to run electricity out to the coop if we don't have to.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but would heat tape help keep the water even more warm? or would that just block the manure from heating the bucket....
or would putting heat tape just on the exposed part at the top help keep it from icing over on the top part?

Heat tape requires electricity... I think the manure method is meant to be stand alone when electric is not an option.

Gary

I know this has come up quite a bit lately, and in fact I'm getting my first blow freezing temps this weekend. I planned on buying an aquarium water heater and putting it in the water bucket (I have the 5gal vertical nipple style). This was my thought, then I got concerned that if the water level got too low the glass around the heater might shatter with the temp difference.
Has this happened to anybody? What should I use instead? The same type of submersible heaters used in horse troughs? Do they make them small enough for a 5 gal bucket?

Get Horizontal nipples, vertical nipples will freeze no matter what you use inside to heat it.

I use a bird bath deicer in my bucket, this is my 3rd year with it no issue. My first year I did use an aquarium heater with no issue, but then decided to switch to the bird bath deicer. the stock tank heater did not work for me...

Last edited:
Heat tape requires electricity... I think the manure method is meant to be stand alone when electric is not an option.

Gary
The manure method is meant as a stand alone method whether or not electricity is available. I have electricity available in my coop but use the manure method because it is much cheaper than using electricity.

Back
Top Bottom