Winterizing the Waterer

Pics

Frazzemrat1

Free Ranging
May 8, 2017
Eastern Connecticut
I know this has come up quite a bit lately, and in fact I'm getting my first blow freezing temps this weekend. I planned on buying an aquarium water heater and putting it in the water bucket (I have the 5gal vertical nipple style). This was my thought, then I got concerned that if the water level got too low the glass around the heater might shatter with the temp difference.
Has this happened to anybody? What should I use instead? The same type of submersible heaters used in horse troughs? Do they make them small enough for a 5 gal bucket?

This was my thought, then I got concerned that if the water level got too low the glass around the heater might shatter with the temp difference.
Ya just gotta top it off everyday to make sure that doesn't happen.
Has worked for me for the last 2-3 winters, running off a 100' extension cord.
First winter we had days on end well below freezing and some sub-zero nights.
Don't buy a cheap heater tho, first one I used failed(didn't shatter, just quit).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

Did you read about heating the water with fresh poop? The person dug a hole much bigger than the bucket. Filled around the bucket with fresh horse or chicken manure, covered with sand. Filled bucket with water. Will not freeze due to heat generated by composting poop.
It’s the hanging kind of bucket, with the nipples on the bottom, and the main part of the run is a thick layer of hay over concrete... no digging possible here.

Back
Top Bottom