1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wintertime treats for chickens - the lazy way....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ace6175, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I never pulled up our broccoli plants, and they were buried under snow until I dug out a few yesterday. Still green, so I gave some to the chickens. They were fighting over it! Who know that broccoli leaves would be such a treat? They wouldn't touch it in the summer. [​IMG] Back in December, I did the same thing with some bok choi that went to seed. Maybe next year I'll plant some extra.

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Yep, over here we have winter in July, so I was feeding all my winter lettuces that went to seed to the chooks...they were crazy about them [​IMG]
    now that its summer I'm going over to the supplies store to stock up on mustard seed- they sell them wholesale and the leaves sprout in a few days and the chickens always love fresh greens

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I cut up the brocolli stems when I make our salads daily just for the chooks. I keep the chook treats bin at hand to toss goodies and waste into while doing this. I have found three or more broadleaf weeds that are green around here all winter and I periodically pull a bucket of them up for the chooks and boy, they pounce on them. One almost looks like clover. Costs nothing and they love them. In summertime, I routinely dump a bushel of grass clippings into the run and they pounce on that too. Of course, there is all manner of garden waste too in summertime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by