wire mesh under coop

lightchicks

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
We are in the process of building our first chicken coop. I am debating if I should put wire mesh under the coop and run to keep predators out? My neighbors are on their third flock due to wildlife around us. The chickens will not be able to free range all day every day due to the hawks in the area. If I put the mesh under the run, they will not be able to dig. I have read about putting outside the coop as a barrier so the predator can't dig close the the run. Thoughts?

I think you should just do one or the other. Both ideas could probably keep out predators. if you are really worried you can do both. I don't know for sure if mesh under the coop will keep things out, though you should get more opinons..

When we built our chicken Fort Knox, we attached chicken wire to hog panels (which we used for the fence and roof) and buried them at least 6 inches underground. Nothing has dug into the run yet. Good luck with your flock, and welcome to BYC! :frow

Aproning out the wire around 2' or so is easier for installation and maintenance and usually cheaper as well (as it takes up less materials), and most of us find that to be quite sufficient as far as protection.

If you want to put wire under the run itself then you should dig down at least a good 6-8" or more, put down the wire, and then pack soil back over it. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure the chickens don't ever dig down to the level of the wire.

Do you happen to know what, if any, precautions your neighbor took with their build?

Aproning out the wire around 2' or so is easier for installation and maintenance and usually cheaper as well (as it takes up less materials), and most of us find that to be quite sufficient as far as protection.

If you want to put wire under the run itself then you should dig down at least a good 6-8" or more, put down the wire, and then pack soil back over it. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure the chickens don't ever dig down to the level of the wire.

Do you happen to know what, if any, precautions your neighbor took with their build?
They put the mesh wire under the run and halfway up the side.

I’m so sorry for your neighbor, what a nightmare! When we built our coop, we did a 360 degree wrap with small squared hardware cloth. Many have tried to dig into our pen, but all have failed. We did it once, as we were building it, and it should last for years and years. I put some sand down on top of the hardware cloth flooring and cover it with straw and/or sawdust and the chickens scratch away. In one corner of the pen, I laid logs and filled in The area with dirt for their baths and they love it! Be sure to cover your air vents in the top of the coop, also. Our builder said he covered the pen 360, but he didn’t cover the vents and we lost my favorite hen to a weasel. No gaps! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom