Wire meshs' EXPENSIVE cost!

Quote:
Good job hunting that up Terry <thumbsup>

I still can't imagine how that dog got it's teeth in a flat and fairly taut installation of HC...SMH...she must have been very determined...and maybe short on pain receptors as she later walked thru some pretty hot wire.

Good job hunting that up Terry I still can't imagine how that dog got it's teeth in a flat and fairly taut installation of HC...SMH...she must have been very determined...and maybe short on pain receptors as she later walked thru some pretty hot wire.
I'm still confused about how a approx. 4"x5" hole gives a big dog access to the chickens unless they are so stupid that they stuck their head out of the hole which I suppose is likely given that we are talking about chickens here. One of my friends has a run that was covered with 2x4 wire only and their dog would literally wait for one of their birds to stick it's head out and then bite it off. They have HWC on the lower portion now. :rolleyes:

Yep. That is what one of my dogs was doing. I have two GP's who just lay in front of the fence to protect and watch but our "old man" lab mix would lay there with a dazed expression watching for one of the chickens to stick it's head out. So lining the bottom fixed that! Goofy chickens...."let's see what's out here"....chomp. And it was always one of the silly hatchery ISA's....every time. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Yep. That is what one of my dogs was doing. I have two GP's who just lay in front of the fence to protect and watch but our "old man" lab mix would lay there with a dazed expression watching for one of the chickens to stick it's head out. So lining the bottom fixed that! Goofy chickens...."let's see what's out here"....chomp. And it was always one of the silly hatchery ISA's....every time.
roll.png
My birds used to keep the outside of the run nice and trimmed down abut 6" out,
until I put HC on the inside to keep the chicks in, and to hold the wood chips I still haven't gotten...I miss those days.
My dog would snag turds thru the fence but is rather scared of the chickens, got his nose nipped several times, playing tag with one bird...he misses those day too...hahaha!

FYI, for the folks up here in New England, Riverdale Mills in Northbridge MA manufacturers all sorts of wire mesh products, coated or galvanized. They sell seconds on Ebay, you can also order any of their products and pick it up yourself to save on shipping. I bought a 100 foot roll of 24 inch .5x.5 inch 16 gauge mesh for my run. It's heavy, can't imagine my dogs clawing through it.
Chris

FYI, for the folks up here in New England, Riverdale Mills in Northbridge MA manufacturers all sorts of wire mesh products, coated or galvanized.  They sell seconds on Ebay, you can also order any of their products and pick it up yourself to save on shipping.  I bought a 100 foot roll of 24 inch .5x.5 inch 16 gauge mesh for my run.  It's heavy, can't imagine my dogs clawing through it.
Chris

Awesome! Thanks for the info. :) i think we're a little far from there but worth looking into for sure

I usually buy from either http://www.mcmaster.com

One thing about them - you have to watch their pricing - it can go up and down.

Luckily enough for me though - I also have a local manufacturer of wire mesh material - http://www.bwire.com

I am usually down there 2-3 times a year, looking through any scrap they have available and seeing what they can give me for the absolute bottom dollar lol.

Pricing can vary wildly over the internet, I have a feeling there is a lot of buying and selling and blind shipping going on in this market.

Who knew the wire mesh market was so similar to the fine diamond market!!! sometimes the prices make it feel that way....

I'm with @Birdydeb. I feel like a very securely attached 2 layer combination of wire is the best bet on keeping the bad guys at bay. Also agree with @aart that nothing is going to be totally predator proof in every situation but the layered wire is going to be pretty tough to overcome.

Especially when you run a wire of electric low enough to where they lean in to start chewing through your wire, they get their teeth knocked out. :)

Back
Top Bottom