Wire or net to cover run?

Thanks everyone! I think that’s all I really need to know! We’re not going to risk it, we’ll get the strong stuff for the top too 👍🏻

Oh I guess secondary question if anyone sees this part - we were going to get 1/2” x 1/2” welded wire for the bottom half of the sides and into the ground, then 1.5”x1.5” for the top half of the sides figuring it would be larger animals if they’re climbing up higher than 3’ and 1.5” seems pretty tight. (Looks wise, my husband really didn’t want it to look like a big screen if we can help it) Is 1.5” welded wire sufficient for sides and top or should it be smaller than that?

This is what you're trying to prevent. Chicken wire is only good at keeping chickens out of areas you don't want them in. Welded wire with 1"x1" or larger openings will allow predator in. Some do very well with covering the bottom 2' of the run with HC, others like myself, choose to cover everything in 1/2" HC.
The photo 😂 you started answering my question as I was writing it - but please clarify what is HC - hardware cloth?

Thanks everyone! I think that’s all I really need to know! We’re not going to risk it, we’ll get the strong stuff for the top too 👍🏻

Oh I guess secondary question if anyone sees this part - we were going to get 1/2” x 1/2” welded wire for the bottom half of the sides and into the ground, then 1.5”x1.5” for the top half of the sides figuring it would be larger animals if they’re climbing up higher than 3’ and 1.5” seems pretty tight. (Looks wise, my husband really didn’t want it to look like a big screen if we can help it) Is 1.5” welded wire sufficient for sides and top or should it be smaller than that?
Chickens can draw critters into your yard.

At 12x14 you'll have to support anything you use as a roof.

Do you need shade and/or snow protection?

Welcome to BYC! @Chickenfam57
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3120928
Don’t need shade - it’s the only shady place in our yard during the warm months. My husband is going to build the frame as “twig work” - so it can be built to support as necessary. We may have a couple of heavy snowfalls per year. Eastern Long Island - it’s hit or miss with snow each year but it’s generally not an ongoing thing throughout the winter.

You can paint the wire/hardware cloth black after you've built your run and it will be almost invisible

Back
Top Bottom