Wire run top...who has pictures?

Here's a question for you experienced people: I bought a big section of woven cloth mesh 1" x 1" that is usually used to top pens for game birds.

Think this will work against hawks, or will they laugh at it?

I am concerned about woven wire or hardware cloth or chicken wire because of our snow loads.

Thanks,
Virginia

I used 2"x4" welded wire on the sides and the top. I also put in 1/2 inch hardware clothe all around the bottom 2 feet up and 1 foot out ( not pictured) to prevent anything from dogging up the fence. I let my dogs try to dig in and they gave up. So far noting has been able to get in to the birds.

2010-07-24193444.jpg

2010-07-24193516.jpg

2010-07-24193526.jpg

I covered half the run for the summer with a tarp, but have taken it down now so that the snow can fall through.

2010-07-25170212.jpg

We did this!! The run is about 300 square feet. I think we sunk 16 or 18 (it all runs together) posts in concrete and my husband used 2x4 welded wire all along the sides, 6 ft. high, and all over the top. there is a small portion in front of the door with galvanized roofing. Along the bottom 2 feet we put 1/2 inch hardware cloth and made a 1 foot apron. I don't have any arial (how do you spell that?) photos but could probably get one. The only thing that has gone on top (of the galvanized roofing) was Bubbles our crazy chicken. we couldn't believe it. My DH did a great job. He's out of town right now but if you want pm me and he can email you what he did. I was mostly moral support.

To those who use chicken wire tops, wouldn't a hefty raccoon just be able to fall thru the roofing wire leaving a big hole? I would guess alot of 2 x 4's bracing it would prevent that. But then what do I know?? Just hate coons.

Quote:
A coon would have to work long and hard to get through 2x4 welded wire. I know I've had them out by the run since I've seen the tracks, but not a one has gotten in or even attempted to get in. Now I had a bear checking out the coop and run early one morning a few weeks back. He would get in no matter what I do. A little bit of birdshot from my 12 gauge convinced him that it was too much of a pain in the backside to mess with my birds if you get my meaning.
big_smile.png
He didn't come back.

Back
Top Bottom