Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I am kinda grounded on driving too far for frivolous things.( Yes FT, taking you a free dog igloo would be considered frivolous. ) I can go to Madison without hearing too mucuh about "all the gas I burn up driving in circles." I figure Dell is the same distance, so can meet up there when you want to. I'm actually rather shy in person. Just like Jim I hear... ;) And FT if you talk so loud ALL the time.... May be its time for a hearing test! They have very small hearing aids now...... :D

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    FT, Friday Fish Fry.

I'd say DrH & Bf4 are a couple hours from each other, at least.

Terri, now you know why he asked if you wanted more coffee. Must be something in the air this morning? DH made a similar comment this morning also.
    Better warn your neighbors to watch out today, Bigz. BOOM! [​IMG]

3. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    MXM... I haven't used the pdz yet. My chickens are all small still and the big coop isn't finished yet with its poops board. I plan on using it for sure though!

4. DomesticDiva12

DomesticDiva12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Wisconsin
    You all are chatty! I skimmed but boy is there a lot of reading to do on this thread! [​IMG] My chicks are 2 weeks old now and already starting to get ugly, and huge compared to what they were. I'm pretty sure that somehow I managed to get 50/50 on my straight run buff orpingtons, 2 males 2 females....could be worse. Twp of them are feathering out quite a bit and two still barely have any feathering, it's a very noticeable difference but I guess it's probably still too early to tell. For now I used my kids crayola washable markers to put colored dots on their heads so I can keep track. My husband managed to convince me to hold off on more chicks until next spring and he's building the coop tomorrow with a friend.
    The Fleet Farm in Green Bay has save-a-chick, feeders, watereres, grit and feed. That's pretty much it for chickens (well we got the light for our brooder there too and they had one very small coop for sale).
    When can you give regular grit to chicks?
    Oh and I was worried about my cat with the chicks, no need I guess. She'll still stick her paw in the cage but she doesn't seem to actually go after the chicks with it, the funniest part though is when she sticks her nose by the cage! All the chicks start peeping and crowd around to peck at her nose! I've noticed her spending less time by the cage lately LOL

5. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Diva... We don't get in the top ten threads for nothing! Lots to say around here. Its the party you just show up to whenever you want! ;)

6. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    [​IMG] and the Cheesehead thread, Domestic Diva! DD for short ok? [​IMG]

Different people will give differing opinions on the grit. There is already grit in the chick crumble, so it really isn't necessary just yet. Maybe until they start eating treats (things other than their feed), but that isn't a great idea when so young. You don't want to dilute their vitamins from the feed when they're growing.

Afew pecks in the nose always deterred my cats too. They learn quick.

7. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    We've never added grit to our chickens. Once they are out free ranging, they'll swallow small pebbles if they need additional grit.

8. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning folks,,,hi to the newbie

took some pics yesterday,,,not quite so fugly this week;

a pic of a Blue girl

[​IMG]
    and the partridge Roo
    [​IMG]
    Group shot all colors represented, you're right Jim,,at least one pullet [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and I got these to pose!
    [​IMG]

bbl trying to get some things done while it's not drizzeling

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Afternoon All.... I think my whole 2 minute drill is spent begging.....followed by another and another...Suzie turned into a non.... [​IMG]

Glad you had a great FFF Doc...we did too! I needed a fresh carrot for the slaw. I saved prolly 20lbs fresh from last fall....I have one fresh carrot left. They kept really well (autumn king) from sandhill.
    I still have over 2 bushels of spuds left.

Glad you found your roo TO!

I love to take a shovel of dirt and grass and place in a flat for the chicks to eat....the dirt works for grit and they have a blast...give it a try.

Nice pics again. Thanks for sharing.

bigz

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute babies Dan! They remend me of my "Robins" that I get occasionally. (but yours have the feathered feet) I love that. Did you say what they are? I sadly found one on my Buckeyes mopy this morning...she looks like she may have prolapsed. I put her under the light and she just laid down and closed her eyes...doesnt look good for her...

Everyone must be outside "doing stuff" It is very damp for sure...lots of slipping and sliding in the mud during chores. Here is a pic before I took the newlyweds out to the their day spot:
    [​IMG]

Just noticed two things in the picture...the toothless cat "creeping" in the background and the fact that I have the same shirt on that I have on in my old avatar with charlie...I think, I have a bunch of them...so anyway, they are out enjoying the day. The sun is starting to try to come through so I think I will take Eli and the twins out too. I need to get the basement room cleared out so they can go down there...I am hoping that I will have some hatching for the Foolish Hatch...but that darn incubator keeps dropping to 97 even though I have turned it up several times! I cant figure out what is wrong with it.

I am going to go out again and do some grooming on my horse...he is totally mudcovered again....*sigh* I wonder why I even bother?
    Terri O

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by