Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hubby went out to the barn this morning to let the chickens out of the coop and guess what he found!

Nice catch on the mink, too bad the fur is not prime anymore!

Here is a ethical question for everyone...If you knew an animal to be female and it more than likely had a few little ones in a den somewhere, would you release the animal?

Not trying to start anything, I have been in this situation and I have actually done both things depending on how heavy my heart was on the particular day.

I would Joe...I am a softie for babies. Even those that will grow up and eat my chickens someday...it's not their fault that we make it easy for them to eat by penning up yummy food right in their neighborhood! Terri O--who avoids hitting them on the road too but is secretly pleased when there is a dead coon on the road in front of her house!

Nice catch on the mink, too bad the fur is not prime anymore!

Here is a ethical question for everyone...If you knew an animal to be female and it more than likely had a few little ones in a den somewhere, would you release the animal?

Not trying to start anything, I have been in this situation and I have actually done both things depending on how heavy my heart was on the particular day.

Would I release the animal? No way! Babies or no babies, it killed 7 of my chickens. it's got to go!

BTW, we caught it with fresh fruit. can you believe it? Sacrificing one of the dead chickens didn't catch it. Although we saw it in the cage with it a couple of times dining and didn't set off the trigger. Fruit is what we finally caught it with. Pineapple and banana, of all things.

EL, I'm not even going to ask WHY you would try putting pineapples & bananas in your trap. You got a monkey on the loose?
gig.gif

As for the ethical question, I'm in the boat with Terri. Yes, I think I would most likely release it if I knew it had babies. And really give my coop & run a thorough once-over to make sure it was critter-proof. Yes, I am a woosie............

Would I release the animal? No way! Babies or no babies, it killed 7 of my chickens. it's got to go!

BTW, we caught it with fresh fruit. can you believe it? Sacrificing one of the dead chickens didn't catch it. Although we saw it in the cage with it a couple of times dining and didn't set off the trigger. Fruit is what we finally caught it with. Pineapple and banana, of all things.

wow fresh fruit...never would have guessed that!

Afternoon Everyone.... Welcome to the new folks. Hope you enjoy the thread.

Give your roo some time pol...he'll get the hang of it fore long.

Mink looks like a male to me...right? That solves the problem then.

What could possibly bring you to Marion bl4, if it wasen't to see me?
frow.gif

My daughter that graduated from point with a forestry degree, landed a full time job working as a forester for the Indians on the reservation. Their forest is a amazing and huge. She is really pleased and starting over $20 per hour.

Nothing new here.... bigz

Hey Amy, I see you are lurking and swapping on all of the egg chains. Whatcha doin with all those chicks?? Oh and the seed chain. So if I don't have any extras I'll have to go buy some !! LOL
The rules said have at least 6, they mean seeds not packs right. Like if they are big seeds like pumpkin or squash you'd have to send 6 ?
Do you ever get people sending out those cheapo seeds from American Seed Co?
I'm going to Jung on Weds maybe I can buy some seed to swap. Another thread I'll be watching !!!
th.gif
I think the seed thread asks for 6 seeds, minimum. i send waaaaaaay more than that. I've been happy with what I've gotten on that thread. Last time I posted an offer on the seed chain it stalled for a week. Oops. And, FYI, I've only swapped on the egg chain once. This year.
wink.png
I'm mostly lurking to see what breeds are being offered, my bator is filled to the brim. I did snag daze333's buff brahmas and runner ducks. Gorgeous brahmas! I candled the whole lot last night (brahma and jaerhon chicks, runner and welsh harlequin ducks) and only one clear. Yay! I was wondering what to do when the chicks outgrow the brooders. Hmmmm. I am ill.

OK I think I have a "dumb cluck" problem or story......So have a silkie roo 7 months old.....He is having trouble with his romantic moves!!! He goes head to head with the hens...Then he grabs them by the back of the neck pushes their head to the ground....then he proceeds to hump up and down with his little tail feathers!!!!! Is this safe sex chicken style??? He does periodically get the right end also!!! One little hen is missing her neck feathers....Dumb cluck or stupid roo???? The other roos of the same age seem to be able to get the job done correctly!!!!
Also bought an incubator from TSC a little giant...plugged it in and no matter what we did it pegged the thermometers at 120 degrees....So took it back and exchanged it...plugged the new one in and I think it is going to work!!! Can't wait to try it out....It will test my patience!!!! I will be a long 21 days!!!

Maybe he is just too young? Maybe if he doesn't figure it out in a few weeks/months swap him out.

hmm... have to check out that seed thread.Once my migraine goes down some more... come on drugs kick in... we are goingto go outside and plant some spinich and radishes. My trellis area is not cleared out yet for the peas ... have to work on that.

On a plus note, I had one late hatcher here with one lav orp. I had 2 eggs that looked pretty good out of the 6 I bought... now One has hatched although the slimy layer in the egg is still sticking on it pretty good. Got most of the shell off though. Will move it to the heater in a while once that slime is more gone. Yolk sac is still hanging on the bottom as well. Here is to hoping it is a healthy little girl.

Back
Top Bottom