Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Good Morning Everyone! Pretty neat rollin thunder early this morning. Cind glad your g came home! Supper sounded great! You'll never get it to come out that good again. [​IMG] Yup I love Jack's coloration. The reason I was thinking part Pheonix is the long down turned tail feathers. 2 HUGE hawks flew over as I was holding him givin him tension [my word for attention]and he came unglued. I held him tighter and talked him down. Hoping it dries up quickly this morning so I can start re-fencing the garden. That stretch of warm weather has sure thrown off my internal clock. I have to keep reminding myself it's only April. Have been wanting to bring the wood in from out back and put it in the shed but that would bury the drier stuff. Maybe while it's drying off today I'll clean up a new spot with the tractor for makin wood. I like to have a southern exposure for the pile. Ticks are already bad [not in the yard] and this rain will really get em going. Think I'll be takin the new mower out for a spin soon too. While man shopping yesterday I picked out a new belt had to put it back and go one size longer. [​IMG] I need to start makin wood very SOON! [​IMG]Robins and Flycatchers are buildin nests! I gotta go.

2. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I don't get to be a critter addict...:(
    It's a no go from not-so-dear-husband on the goats.
    Sh!t.... :(

3. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Sooooooo... Who has pure breed hatching eggs near me? Tiki where do you live again?!
    Time to rebel... :D

4. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    @ Cind; yeah they soften right up! They are a little chewy but not crunchy at all! I had my DH tell me it smells weird... [​IMG]

Dr.H did you have any hail this AM? Woke me right up! The sound of hail dinging off the windows..... not too much lightning/thunder though.

Frenchie, where are you???? Did you make it home??

BigFam, you just have to change your approach.... do more research and explain how much money they will save you since they will be making food too. [​IMG] Instant lawnmowers..... what does he think you need for that beautiful farm? Just let it sit and rot with no critters on it? (Well, besides chickens.)

5. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    I figured If I posted I was possibly looking for a Roo, that you would pipe up! lol Ok so let me put it out there a little further to a chicken enabler....What kind of Roo's you got?

6. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    So I thought I would share some pics of the spoiled waterfowl at my house....

Eggshells anyone? I suppose checkers is eating them for feather development, but the girls were acting like I had thrown out minnows!

[​IMG]

And now, time for a little dip in the pool.... That's Maggie by the step, and then Jules (all black), Checkers, and finally Taffy.

[​IMG]

I better get moving... still have to have a 2nd cuppa.

7. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    we bake and grind up the eggshells and feed them back to the chickens. I'd heard you should do it that way so they don't recognize the egg and start trying to eat their own eggs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Oooooohhhhhh Mmmaaaaazzzzzoooo..... I have baby Wheaten Marans Roos. Gonna be GORGEOUS. GO ahead and google Wheaten Marans, and Bev Davis. And I'm just down the road from you..... :D

9. vickiw

vickiw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Hi!
    is no one from Wisconsin on this site anymore? Newbie here and I am looking for LOTS of help from northern folks!

10. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I have never done that, and I know my MIL never did either. Nobody has eaten any of their own eggs here! The only time my MIL had an issue was when she had Banty's. Heck I even fed my goose eggshells like this and she never ate her own eggs.

I do not know why they do not eat their own eggs, I suppose they recognize the whole eggs over the broken ones????? No idea.... maybe it is the psycho birds who eat their own eggs......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by