Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

BigFam, Then I say you should find an adult female goat that needs rescuing. One that is PG !!! How can he refuse a goat that is in need?

OR Tell him you want to have another baby !!!! The two legged kind !!! He might just let you have a whole herd of goats !!!

2. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Yes... My hubby is mean and evil! How dare he not let me do whatever I want! Especially after building me the kick @ss coop! Gggrrrr... I hate not getting my way. BUT he didn't say never. He said I should get this chicken thing up and running before adding another kind of animal to clean up after. So I guess I wait a year. Oh well. May be I'll sneak a Nora puppy in my car on the way home from the bash... :D

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Listen to your DH ,, do you realize that if you have one milking goat, you might as well have a whole herd of them,,,, or milking cows.. you will have to be there twice a day, 365 days a year to milk it.. No overnight trips,, leave early from parties and picnics..
    go out and milk, migraine, flu, hangover . no excuses..

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    . I have a new job! Carpenetr.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    before I tell you he is right, did you see my post about the marans rooster?

6. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I know. Luckily he does work all the time, so we really don't go anywhere. But I am respecting his wishes. I got my way with chickens. I notice no comment from you on the Nora puppy comment. Are you ignoring it on purpose Jim? ;)

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You are really better off to take it slow although it is very hard to do!

8. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    OK FINALLY !!! I can jump in here and post.
    Took me forever to read. Then I kept getting interupted with PM, thank you BigFam and then had to start reading over. I don't know how many times I read about mink and weasels.

Anyway, Wheeewww. Another long day yesterday.
    I met with Jim and Melissa (Bl4) (Jim likes us to use our real names) ( Have to respect elders wishes you know !!l) LOL

I got the cutiest dang little ducks from her that you will ever want to see !!!! 3 girls and a boy !!!! Oh and M, got another egg this morning !!!!

After I left the A & W in Wittenberg I drove down the road and picked up a Neuski catalog and made a potty stop there (aren't you glad I shared !!! LOL To much coffee at A&W)
    Didn't buy anything at Neuskis cause I promised the Pigs I wouldn't eat any more pork. But they were out of the ends and pieces, I did ask [​IMG]

Then I made my trip to the feed store in Embarass !!!! Great Prices. Thanks Bigz !!! for the referral !! Nice people too.

There was a woman there named Dee that was a riot. She told me they had baby mallards at TSC in Shawno. I only have one mallard drake so my next stop was TSC to get pig food and took the last of their mallards. Cute little [email protected]@rds (Yes Jim we Cheeseheads know how to swear on here)

The ladys talked me into all 5 cause they know me there and how can you take just two in case one dies you only have one. Then if you take three then there are two left. I took 5 they are small !!!

Then I told the woman I would stop at her place and check out her Muscovies cause she was on the way home. Well I typed in the wrong road and ended up on the W side of town instead of the E and my fuel light came on. Geez. Dang GPS then directed me to the wrong house even with the corrected address.
    So long story shorter, I came home with some muscovies and a nest of about 20 eggs cause the hen I wanted had started a nest !!!!

I referred Dee to the cheesehead thread. She had a problem finding it but I will email her with the site. She is a riot. She will give Dr Ha a run for his money at the bash !!!!! LOl

All ducks got settled and are doing great this morning !!
    Sorry Melissa that I didnt' post last night. It was late and my laptop's batter was dead and I left the charger in the truck.

I think I am falling fast for ducks !!!! Especially since spring is here and they look at a puddle like it is the best thing ever !!!! Oh and I picked up another tub for the ducks pool.
    Oh and M, I stopped and got lettuce for the ducks to much on on their trip, you are right they loved it. Then stopped at FF on the way home and got food (and the tub)

Round trip 250 miles approx.

Day of rest.

My surprise will be on after 3;30pm !!!!

Tomorrow going to Stevens Point to Jungs with the Neighbor. TG she is driving. I might sit in the back seat with her 2 week old baby and gutchy goo him the whole time !!!!

9. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    FT.. I must warn you... Jungs is an evil place that sucks money straight from your wallet... I visited a Jungs today on my lunch break. Was just going for some fingerling potatoe tubers... walked away with arctic kiwi vines, calla bulbs adn canna bulbs... spent time staring at teh pink lemonade blueberry plants.... looks like a number of my blueberry plants did not make it this year which is a bummer. Yes I can spend money there!!! luckily I have lots of my veggie seedlings already started. need to inventory what I have and still need.

Planted my spinach and radishes yesterday. wanted to get the peas in but the area against my trellis is not tilled yet. Need to let the chickies back there. They are so cute. When I am working on the area between their new run and our big oaks, I am ripping out the grass and weeds by hand ( stays away better) so I have two hens that will sit one next to me and one on my lap and when I dig my shovel and turn the dirt over, they stick their feet in and dig a little more hoping for those fat worms in there. THey are so sweet. And that is reason #110 to have chickens. You can garden with them.

Oh yes and one other bit of news ( random thoughts generating) Carol was over to play with the babies yesterday... we went outside to the coop where the big girls are. I have a buff silkie that she gave me that she got from someone from here (anyone, anyone) that acted like she had water on the brain issues. When it lived at Carols and when I first got it, it would stand and stare at a wall and talk to it all day long. Not moving much just sitting there and never laying... we figured it was kinda brain dead but my kids loved the gentle bird. I have had this bird over a year. It raised some young pullets up for me that would litterally climb under it to hide ( these would be full sized birds under a very small silkie). So we just introducted our 7 month old splash silkie rooster a month ago to the whole group. I pulled Carol aside yesterday adn told her that I swear that this buff silkie who is now very social, the comb has really grown in past few weeks and I see streamer feathers out of its head. As I say this, it spurs with the splash silkie. I have 2 roosters... It was hiding its true sex. Anyone hear of this before? We figured it was a non laying hen. Nope. But has never shown interst in the girls either.

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I had some of my porcelain project orpingtons hatch the last couple of days. One is really neat. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it feathers out.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by