Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I had some of my porcelain project orpingtons hatch the last couple of days. One is really neat. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it feathers out.
Oh how cool! I am getting lavender, Porceleins project eggs this week! Now you'll have to post and label picks so I know what to look for! BTW... It's chicks days at farm and fleet in baraboo tomorrow... I think I will be stopping... :D I know I will pick up a few Australorps, but they have white brahmas too. Any opinions on the brahmas?

Oh how cool! I am getting lavender, Porceleins project eggs this week! Now you'll have to post and label picks so I know what to look for!
BTW... It's chicks days at farm and fleet in baraboo tomorrow... I think I will be stopping...
big_smile.png

I know I will pick up a few Australorps, but they have white brahmas too. Any opinions on the brahmas?

Brahmas eat feed really well!

The Orpingtons are so cute BBP! Love the blues! It will be exciting to see the porcelain develope. I heard Brahmas are big chickens that lay a relatively small egg for the size of the bird and the amount they eat. I also heard they are very friendly and gentle.

Oh geeze! Two weeks into this and I think that Marilyn has lice. Looking at her bum and comparing it to pictures that is sure what it looks like. I looked because I am seeing her feathers around the coop. Also her neck looks naked in spots. Is that lice or is Snowy maybe plucking her?

Will DE do the trick for the lice or do I need to get something else.

Oh geeze! Two weeks into this and I think that Marilyn has lice. Looking at her bum and comparing it to pictures that is sure what it looks like. I looked because I am seeing her feathers around the coop. Also her neck looks naked in spots. Is that lice or is Snowy maybe plucking her?

Will DE do the trick for the lice or do I need to get something else.

Good early evening! Long day going to Mom and Dad's place in New Berlin and picking up their old fence...DD26 went along and my BFF met us there. THen we went out to lunch. So the fence is now home and I will b looking where I want to put it up in the next few days. It is a split rail type--I ill probably have to purchase more rails.

DE can control lice Mugs but I dont think it does much to get rid of them. You can dust them with 5% Sevin dust (carbaryl 5%) and it works very well. ou will have to dust them again in 10 days or so. Alternatively you can make a sandbox for them to dust themselves in with DE, Sand or dirt and the Sevin powder. If you have wild birds where your chickens are then I would dust the birds and then provide the dustboxes...they will continue to catch them from the outside birdies!

New Joe...do you have any proof that coyotes kill calves? I would think that maybe a lamb or kid goat would be the largest that they could pull down...a calf is 100 pounds! I only think a coyote is what, 45 or 50? (if that) It just seems unlikely to me is all...
I have a handful of roos that I dont need here too...some really large guys that I dont want to sell to the people that eat them...if you need one...get to Madison at all?

What else? Glad your guinea came back Cind! DrH--I took a look at the roos today and I think it was the phoenix or one of his sons that fathered yours. The Aracauna X's tail points straight down and kinda curls under his body. Doesnt look like yours...

Brought 5 more Australorps down this morning and another 4 when I got home today! The chick TV has 6 light ones and the rest black for a total (right now) of 19! A few more eggs still rocking in the bator...then the guineas should start to hatch.
Road runner still has only 1 and is still on remaining eggs. The white hen's clutch went bad I believe so I gave her 6 more that were in a duck nest--uncertain dates on those!
The incubator I got back was messed up so I am still trying to regulate it...Maybe set the next bunch tomorrow.

Welcome to the new additions...people and peeps! @ the person worried about cold temps...dont. They have down coats! Just make sure there arent any drafts and the birds will be OK in the winter.

Making my order to Klubertanz tomorrow and will probably go and pick it up...only about 15 miles from here--probably cheaper than the shipping. I think I am going to make some popcorn for dinner! <MMMM> Have a good one! Terri O

Evening All... hope you like their feed frenchie. I'm sold on it, and I'm betting your flock is gonna love it. You will have lots of eggs to take to the bar for trade. Never ends up cash, does it?
I think you should have a on the road sales job....seems like you drive enough for one.

I'm down to one unopened bag of layer, so i'll be going there this week too. Hope you saved a few bags for me!

Welcome newbies.

bigz
forgot to mention, I love the light brahmas. mine lay large eggs. I had two more eggs today from 7 year old hens. Not bad, eh!

Last edited:
Glad you made it home Frenchie, I was worried!!!!

So what's the big surprise???? It's WAY after 3:30!

Worked at UW-Fox today for a bit. One of the professors decided to shake up her lab routine and change her Gel-electrophoresis lab to one that would mimic something from C.S.I. The students had a crime scene sample and they had to compare 4 other samples to the crime scene. I thought that was pretty inventive and a good way to make the lab something they would not easily forget. An example of Gel-electrophoresis would be those sheets showing DNA with the blue blobs on them in columns.... oh heck, I'll never explain it right... here is a pic. I wish I could make it smaller.

Anyway... I thought it was cool. Almost as cool as when we made Luminol in Organic Chem. (That's the stuff they spray at crime scenes to find blood; if it hits blood it glows).

FINALLY got out there and got a walk in... only 1.6 miles but better than nothing!

Back
Top Bottom