Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I have a question that maybe someone on here knows.... Barn Quilts or the paintings that go up on barns... anyone know how to obtain them or what they cost? Dont want a big one but I think they are very cool and wondered about their price. Also looking for someone who carves signs out of wood or something neat. Want to put a sign on our coop with our name. Geesh... lotsa questions this morning

On a plus note the chicks that remain are doing really good. Kids are loving them and some are downright spunky!! Some are better snugglers. Cheryl I gotta give a shoult out ot you.. Ewok, our little bantam leghorn is the cutest tiny little thing ever! And we have two blues that made it. Wish it was a better success but we had about a 40% hatch rate from day one for our first try and a 60% hatch rate from lockdown. Not too horrible.
  2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    gppd morning, fed the birds, had my first cuppa, read up to here..
    Melissa, I saw all kinds of bare grass in your yard.. time to cover it all up with more birds. You need a tom turkey, I think..

had a few guineas in the pines last night.. I didn't check for feathers.. If there are any, Annie will inform me..

I never heard the rain last night.. looks like we had a good amount..

I think today is "add more eggs to the bator day.." I will have to check my files and see if it has been 4 days since the last time..

tomorrow is lock down for the first 4 eggs.. I will have to warm up the hatcher..

I was going to drag the garden today, but the rain made it too wet for that..

Maybe I will help Annie clean in the garage.. she wants to park her new car in there so that the peacock doesn't stand on top of it.. It has a dark blue rag top.. I suppose bird sh!t would spoil that, eh?

Annie should be getting home soon, I better go up and mix up some pancakes..

3. vickiw

vickiw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    oops[​IMG]told you I was new. didn't realize the new posts were last. Ok, again, Hi everyone! Looking for lots of suggestions/tips about how to deal with keeping chickens in a cold climate. I live in northern WI and am working now on my coop as I wait for my chicks. Haven't had chicks for since the 80's on a farm I was renting at the time that came with a wonderful, century old, stone built coop. Now living on a place with lots of acres in the northwoods but no farm buildings. Finally talked my hubby into letting me have chickens (yes, I married a former city boy but still a keeper[​IMG]) and out of his toolshed and am starting to renovate. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
  4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    Saaay whaat? nobody here? stick around kiddo.. ask away..

what do you call northern wisc ? lots of people way up nort.. lots of people south and in the middle, too.. I am near wausau..
  5. unkadan

unkadan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi folks,

looks like the hatch is over,,,give the remaining eggs the rest of today and see

Hi vw (we shorten most names here) I'm new to this last fall but am in the north woods, I used a 70 yr old coop , walled off about 1/4of it for the first 25 birds. Never had insulation so I figured good to go, I used the deep liter on the floor, by spring I had 12" of straw/poop down. Never an odor until we hit that warm weather so I cleaned it then. Used a heater under the waterer that was rigged to my light. Warm winter but did see -20 a couple of times, girls laid all winter and with a frost bit comb on my rooster, no damage at all.

No storms here last night,,,some drizzle/sprinkle stuff that is still hanging around, some definite things that have to get done,,,

6. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    That is my issue, I do have 2 Blue Andalusian roos, but I am a little impatient, and my girls are lonely and even a little lost!

Although after googling that we might have to strike a deal! WOW
  7. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    @ Kristip, They have a county wide project in Shawano County where they are trying to get barn quilts up on as many barns as they can.

I bet if you contacted the artists they could point you in the direction of someone in your area who could do one for you, or you could do one yourself. I believe they use 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Jim, thankfully those are only a few bare spots left in our backyard. At one point we had almost no grass at all.

Welcome VW! Frenchie lives up North.... she is a great enabler..... :)
  8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    Welcome to the new people!!!!

I put 7 eggs in on April 1st.

Mine are not ready yet. I am having some difficulies . I have finally gotten them seperated and they have stayed that way for a week. But since they are not out free ranging they either don't seem to be laying so many eggs or someone is hiding them. I will update you when I get more info. LOL

Been reading as much as I can but not responding as I am busy busy busy. Does anyone know how to fix flooring. It looks like I am going to remove the washer and dryer to the garage and take a closer look at the floor. p>
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    does everyone have a new job out there now? No new posts for an hour and a half, been that way for a couple of days now! Yet miss 2 hours at night and you have to go through 20 or so posts!
  10. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I read read read... But don't have much to post. Still crushed my hubby is mean...;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by