Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mxmarg

mxmarg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    SCentral Sconny
    [​IMG] Maggie! I'm a newbie too! And right? After years of wishing this is our year too! We're building our chicken tractor and then finding the residents for it! Hope you see this and hope you share your experiences!

Hey BabyLady! I'm glad you're coming through the yuck. I only heard about the s from you... not another source. Is the attempted person still with us? How traumatic.
    Different subject: I've always liked steel cut oats too! They seem more substantial! Putting a ribbon of fruit preserves through there is awesome too! Only very recently found out you're supposed to refrigerate the oats after opening the package [​IMG] What an awesome idea to toast them! Throw them on a cookie sheet at what temp and for how long?

No hail in my spot near Madison!

I LOVE hearing coyotes at night. -they're not around here anymore. Only get to hear them while camping in Governor Dodge. And no I've never had one carry off a beloved pet or an income animal so maybe I'd change my tune then but for now... I wish the rural neighbors didn't extinguish them. It was so cool hearing them around here. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Vicki! Sorry, I'm not in your area! But I am a fellow newbie also building a coop/chicken tractor.

Thanks CindLady! Hugsband is looking forward to noodling with racheting wheels. Wheels on all 4 corners of the ark... can I call this thing an ark? Bottom line is: It remains to be seen how this thing will move! Ah newbs and their lack of real world chicken experiences... stay tuned

Kristi! Post pix!!!! [​IMG]

Aw How awesome, FT & BigFam!!!!

2. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I don't know what you are talking about. It wasnt me. But your mystery egg pusher sounds very thoughtful indeed! So you're setting thise eggs at 3:31 pm tomorrow?!:D

3. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Well, I'm off to go check out the Jung catalog. Tomorrow is going to be another long day. BUT I get to put the eggs in the bator when I get home. They are resting on the recliner now !!!! LOL They've go a big job to do so rest up little eggies !!!

BL4 the 4 little calls are doing great. One managed to get out of the pen I have them in and boy oh boy, you are right they are loud for their size. Cute little buggers though !! I'm in love with them already.

Oh and my baby mallards or Rouens (TSC didn't know what kind they are) are so GD cute too !!!! Messy, holy cow !!!

And the muscovies are doing great too. I can't believe how calm of a duck they are. Remember I have runners, which speaks for itself.

I put the nest that came with the muscovies in the bottom half of a dog house. I counted 25 plus eggs. I'm going to let them set on the eggs. No room in the Inn pluse I heard they are good mothers. The three hens I picked out that were hanging with the drake are all setting on the eggs. The Gray and white girl that wasn't hanging with them isn't setting.

Oh and I gave my Chinese Geese a small wading pool. Holy Cow, They both bathed up and got to it !!! It was by no means a 2 minute drill.
    It was more like a 10 minute drill but the worse part of it was............. HE HELD HER HEAD UNDER WATER THE WHOLE TIME !!! Geez !!!!
    As I shake my head...... what next.......never a dull moment around here that is for sure.

Well, I have to be at the neighbors at 8am. Better get to looking at that catalog !!

Sweet dreams everyone !!!

4. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

Oh sure, now you tell me !!!! Is this an April Fools joke that is going to go on for 6 months ??? LOL

Or is the big suprise gonna be what REALLY hatches out of those eggs???? LOL

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Here is a quick pic of Moose's teenie boppers. Aren't they huge????

[​IMG]

The big kids meeting the little kids:

[​IMG]

And the jury is still out on the gender of this one: any guesses?

[​IMG]

6. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Wow Robin,

Just when I was about to make a guess I changed my mind. I'd say they are all either male or female !!! [​IMG]

Seriously now, I think the one in the last picture might be a roo. At first I thought hen, but the comb seems to be reddening up and if you look close you can see the start of wattles. But then I am speaking from a silkie point of view where the females rarely have wattles that are visible.

Ok, fading fast here. To much excitement the last few days !!!

Night all.

Oh PS, Bigz do you still feed oyster shell alone with this food?

7. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:
    See what I mean? The chicks with the rose combs were easier. Their combs started pinking up right away on the boys. Now that they're older, they all seem to be getting little wattles, one in particular. I'll have to see if I have a close up of him. But this chick is keeping me guessing.

8. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Here, see the one at the top? Look at the wattles on him!

[​IMG]

They get that stink eye from their father, BTW.

9. Cindlady

Cindlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2010
    S.E. WI
    Well, Glad you got your lavs FT!
    I still have to cut some wood but I'm too tired to do much. Hope I make it to town tomorrow.
    Guess I'll chat tomorrow.... night all!

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    just checking in to say goodnight,, set 71 eggs tonight.. makes 248 total in the bator now..

got a little of the garage cleaned today.. going to go at it a little at a time so it doesn't get too overwhelming..

changed all the burned out light bulbs.. makes it a little less depressing to be in there..

blasted 4 guineas out of the pine tree.. 2 still up there.. little bullheaded brats..

a pair of geese weren't allowed into either coop tonight, so they are freeranging.. all of a sudden the Sebastopol gander got nasty.. maybe the Seb geese are going to start laying? I hope, I hope..

Nora is beginning to show.. I felt for pups , just felt lots of water.. she is such a laid back dog. You can do anything to her, and she just lets you do it.. prolly grateful for any attention..

CC, first picture ,, Hen.. top picture hen left, roo right..

jiminwisc......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by