Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Mugs

Mugs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks mxmarg I did see your post! I'm off to the Tractor Supply store to get something for lice. blerg.[​IMG]
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    I vote for female CC. At this age if it was a boy it would have pointy hackle feathers and I don't see any. [​IMG]
  3. Dr HaHa

Dr HaHa Grinning Chicken Lips

Feb 11, 2009
    Nekoosa Wi.
    Good Frosty Morning All! WOW I'm lost with all the posts! WELCOME to all the new people! Hope you can make it to the bash! It's a lot of fun with a lot of bad people! [​IMG] tiki sounds like you really need to get the fudge out of there! Bl4 no hail here that I know of. Man so much forgotten! Getting ready for the road trip to Ks tomorrow, probably won't hear from me till Sun. Cute chicks BBP! Hope everyone has good hatching this weekend! Jim you are a hatchin mochine! Bf4me settle down Beeker! FT congrats on the eggs! So much more [​IMG] Well things to do, see ya soon! [​IMG]
  4. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    a calve inside a 4' small fence and a hutch is not a sitting duck. It is very unlikely a coyote is going to jump into that enclosure with the calve.

My neighbor has not lost any calves yet, but I think his situation is the easiest for a coyote to kill a calve....no cows, large open area 300'x200' pasture and large open enclosure 20x20 with no front for them to sleep in.

I just cant say never anymore when it comes to a coyote...
  5. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    You know you would be able to keep up with th posts if you didn't work so hard on other things! I'm recovering from my children being home for spring break last week. Couldn't pull myself away long enough to do much but laundry. :p Oh and good news, bad news. Remember how my hubby said no go on the goats? Well he came home and said "I was going to call you and tell you go ahead if you want to." crap! Because he had said no, I told the woman with the twins no, so she got a deposit on them yesterday. But now I am looking at babies and seeing what's out there and taking my time. If I'm going to do it, I'll get what I really want. Also leaves time to decide where to keep them etc.
  6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

God morning friends! Looks like I have ended with 19 for this hatch. There are a lot of eggs still in the bator; but I have the feeling that they are done,,,will give them a few days yet just in case. I am still struggling with the other incubator to get it to stay on temp. It has a hair trigger for adjustment for sure!
    Congrats on the egg shipment! (I must admit I knew of the surprise...I wonder if the hay fairy will show up at my place? [​IMG]) [​IMG] Good luck on that hatching FT...try not to buy too much at Jung's today! That is such a hard place for me to go to...I get waaaaay too many ideas. And Lord knows I have enough to do!

Man I read so much and now cant remember a thing! Unreal! I guess I will have to go back to responding as I read! I will take some pics of the roos for you today NJ. There are a couple of real lookers out there!

I am going to drink more coffee and update the bash thread...I hope you all have started posting what you are bringing....oh yeah, who was asking for a GF recipe for Easter? PM me and I can give you several suggestions!
    Have a fantastic day! Terri O
  7. EarthyLady

EarthyLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    southwest wi
    Here's a set of pics that I saw this past winter on facebook of a coyote taking down a deer - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150432746617365.395494.84986317364&type=3

I spent my day yesterday getting together a group of people to go in on buying a bunch of stewing hens. I found a craigslist ad of someone a few miles away getting rid of a bunch of year old hens. THEN, I drove out to Amish country and asked a guy to butcher for us this weekend. Trying to figure out all the legistics of everyone's coolers and ice and plastic bags and delivery, how we're going to transport a bunch of chickens and all that. This should be super educational. LOL

Supposedly our coop will be delivered on Thursday. It's ONLY 2 1/2 weeks late so I'm not holding my breath on anything. I do have 22 2 month old chickens that would really like a nice new place to live though. For now they are just in the milk room of the barn.

Looks gorgeous out today! I'm hoping to get out and get my hands dirty in the garden a bit doing some weeding and planting. I transplanted some watermelon and celery into larger containers yesterday.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    good morning all,

frost on the ground today.. Annie talked to the wife of our neighbor who uses our land.. she will send someone over with manure and a drag for the garden.. then I can plant potatoes and peas..

told Annie not to drag her feet ordering 2 pounds of Serendipity corn seed from Jung.. One year they were sold out..

talked to the guinea lady yesterday.. she is bringing me some eggs next week and 6 or 8 laying hens.. she has too many and now she has ordered a whole bunch of new chicks.. needs the room. some of these hens lay jumbo eggs.. she has to hold the cartons closed with rubber bands.

last year when she picked up her keets, she accidentaly scooped up a couple of turkeys.. well these two turkeys are both laying eggs for her now.. she has no tom.. but she plans on using the turkeys for hatching other eggs if they go broody..

I have a call into the vet.. Nora has a sore Dew Claw.. or toe nail.. whatever..

what's left of my cuppa is getting cold.. better go see what the birds are up to and then work on the garage some more..

the lady that Annie got her cockatiels from told her that she would part with a couple more.. Annie wisely told her no thanks.. she is going to give Annie a nest box..

EarthLady, one year old hens should still be prime egg layers..

My brother called last night.. He just got back from his Amtrack 2 week trip to Calif.. while he was gone his house was broken into.. took several of the guys' deer rifles, computer, TV and $2000 cash that he was accumulating to buy something special..

People, people,,,, beware of what you post on Facebook..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  9. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Good afternoon...food list has been updated.
    Just came in for a bit of water and something to eat. Popcorn for dinner last night doesnt hold me too well! Tried calling Klubertanz but the line has been busy...long lunch? I want to go there tomorrow and pick up my stuff.
    Got a new client for Friday...just cleaning--will see how it goes. It's not too far away so that is good! Guess I better repack my cleaning stuff into the traveling bag!
    Chicks are doing well...I took the other thermometer out of the incubator and put it into the one that is giving me trouble. I think it is more accurate than the one I had in there. Hopefully I can set the eggs tonight!

Got a load of laundry on the line...I hear the second one spinning now....Got a little show when I let the horses out yesterday. First time in the big pasture. The crazy pony went out and jumped over the pole that DD20 has set up! Then there was some bucking, a little running and then they settled down to eat! I was actually surprised how easily they came in!

Sorry to hear about your brother's place Jim! Yes, Facebook can be very bad or very good! He posted he was going to be gone? If he did, he also should have mentioned that the housesitter was a little afraid of his guard dog! I hope he has insurance and can prove what he had...

Washer is done--gotta go "hang out!" [​IMG] Enjoy this gorgeous day! Terri O
  10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    Haha DrHa If I had the money I would. Is cheaper to fix though. I think next year I will be saving all year long and then move next spring. I just can't take the stress. This year I think my attitude will be different. I am not going to cower everytime she yells at me. I will just say something like~This is unacceptable the way you are talking to me. haha wish me luck there.

Jim that sounds like a good idea to do a little at a time and not get overwhelmed. I shoulda took that advice. lol Also folks, drinking double energy drinks from starbucks doesn't do much to calm nerves. LOL

Update on my project: On further inspection of the basement I see that the problem with plumbing has been a long standing problem. Some of the joists are snapped in half and propped with a 1 X 4. And I can really smell the mold today but that is the mold from the basement which I could always smell nothing new. It appears they fixed it up somewhat and then put the perpetrating washer back in place.

I have decided to run the dehumidifier in the basement whether they like it or not. I am not going to be bullied any more.

My floor project is coming along very slowly but it is do~able. I miracolusley got laminate flooring to match perfectly. Wow I have to purchase some sub flooring today and also some paint for mold which they never did. It is going to be hard but I can do it right. I would rather do it than have them come in and who knows what. I cant explain it~it would take too long~but they are very Jekyl and Hydish.

Later all have a good day. I am busy. Hopefully will be reporting better news next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by