Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Oh no... Nothing that good! (I do know btw... Ha ha ha)

I wonder what she IS doing though?!

2. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    I dont have proof, but coyote have been known to take down a kill a whitetail. I dont think you hear of them killing calves that often because they are in hutches near buildings or they have a cow to protect them. my neighbor has them in pasture with a 3 stand electric fence, he is not
    allowed to restrain his calves with his organic agreement. A very large coyote is 50 pounds, my largest to date was 42 and the pelt was over 6 foot tip of tail to tip of nose.

I am being told that I should wait till my blue andalusian rooster grows up, but please entertain me with what you have for roosters...the wheaten that BF4M has even though it too would have to grow up, I figure it may be easier to ask for forgiveness!

3. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Mazo, cows are pretty good at protecting their calves.... the calves attached to the little sheds would be 'sitting ducks' for a coyote. Here is what to look for in a coyote kill.

Coyotes ...

• Usually go for an animal's throat.
    • Do not chase cattle.
    • Do not kill larger calves or grown cattle.
    • Usually kill one animal at a time and feed on it.
    • On rare occasions bite the tails off young calves. These "bob-tailed" calves usually survive.
    • On rare occasions hamstring a larger calf or deer and feed on the still-living animal.

My thought is.... why would a coyote bother with the calves if there were chickens nearby? ;) On top of that, the whitetail will be dropping fawns soon enough..... those will be more appealing targets.

Frenchie, where are you????

4. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Hey Everybody ! I'm right here !!!

5. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    [​IMG] I got something in the mail today !!! [​IMG]I got something in the mail today !!!v[​IMG]

I got something in the mail today !!! [​IMG]

Here is a hint [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Yep a dozen Eggs !!! An I got them from the Egg Fairy !!! [​IMG] Can anyone guess who the Egg Fairy is ????

Guess what kind !!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Sorry I didn't make the annoucement at 3:30. The Post office website said my eggs were out for delivery so I was doing chores that DH didn't get to this morning [​IMG] and packaging up eggs to send to a friend in TN. Then DH calls and said he just noticed a call from the PO on HIS phone. The eggs were in Crandon.

Great, I had dirty clothes on with coffee spilt on them, Chicken Crap on my shoes and who know what other kind of cdrap, then Buttons jumped up on my lap on the ATV and she had pastey butt !!!! [​IMG]
    I had intended on meeting the Post Lady at the corner (my mail box is 1/4 mile down the road) hand her my package and take the package that was out for delivery !!!

Change in plans, I had to drive to town !!! With dirty clothes and a dog with pasty butt. !!! So instead of bring her in the house for a shampoo, I had the hose running for the ducks, I said come here Butt dog, and gave her a dupa wash with the cold hose water. For crying out loud didn't she realize I had

Ready ....................................................... 10 LAVENDER SILKIE EGGS , 1 Partridge Egg and 1 PAINT EGG to pick up !!! [​IMG]

So off to the post office I went !!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

So by now You're all probably wonder who this wonderful Egg Fairy is ??????? Here is a hint !!! Who is the biggest Egg and Chicken Enabler on CheeseHeads !!! And Might I add, a very kind hearted soul !!! I never spoke to her in person until the other day when she PM'd me and all she said was "SURPRISE " !!!!!! What a sweetheart !!! [​IMG]

7. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    I'm guessing mallard eggs? No wait... Turken eggs? No... Those are too ugly. How about show girl eggs? No... They always want to go topless. Guinea eggs?

And what do you mean by egg fairy? You didn't order them?

8. Bigfamily4me

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Shoot I was wrong on all accounts!

Well good for you! Super egg citing!!!

9. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Ok Drum Roll ....................................................... Bigfam4me is the Egg Fairy !!!!!

I had to wait until after April Fools Day to make sure she was really serious !!! I have been trying to get lavender silkies to hatch for over a year. Now keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch of 10 lavender hens !!!! I have one lavender roo and he would be in heaven with 10 new girls. Oh what the heck. I'll be happy with 9 hens and another roo. Some competition will do my roo good.

So Thank You so Much Bigfam4me !!!! You are da Bestest !!!!!

Wish I had a few female milking goats I could give ya !!! You're first on my list for Lavender Ameraucanas when I get some.Or whatever your little heart desires !!!

10. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Wow, you've been chatty around here! Been crazy busy with the beautiful weather down here the past 2 days, so I've been outside pretty much all day long. Quite chilly this evening, though!

[​IMG] Mugs, Vicki & all the newbies! I hope you like it here. You're not too far from me, Mugs.

Sorry to hear about your lav, Kris. [​IMG] Congrats on the rest of your hatch! Had to chuckle at your water-on-the-brain silkie story, especially how he/she talks to the wall. [​IMG]

Congrats to Ron & the aussies, Terri! One of these times I would love to get a few aussie eggs/chicks from you if you ever have a surplus. Doesn't have to be this year, though.
    Cind, you made my mouth water hearing about your perfect turkey on the grill. [​IMG] I hope Storkey's eggs are ok. Glad your guinea returned too.

I feed my shells back to my girls too. I only had an egg eating problem once when I switched my feed to Layena & their shells started getting real soft. Once they were back to their old brand of feed, I had no more problems will soft shells or egg eating. I do break my shells up really small, though.

I didn't know your parents lived in New Berlin, TO. That's not far from here at all! You could have made a pit stop & taken a roo or 2 home with ya. [​IMG]

Mugs, Terri had super advice about the lice, Sevin & dirtbaths. Your hen might just be molting. They do lose their feathers when they molt, and they can get pretty sad looking sometimes. Did you get your chickens as adults, or have you had them since chicks?

Wow, Bf4, I can't believe you didn't buckle and spill the beans for FT! Are you finally getting some willpower? [​IMG] Wait until the bash. Who knows what kind of critters you will find to fill your van up with. [​IMG]

Lots of chicken drama around here the past 2 days. It was so beautiful out yesterday, I decided to move the little lav orps out of their brooder and into the chicken carport outside. But first, I had to move all of Moose's babies out of their area with Jack and into the big girls area. That wasn't too difficult considering they have been running around out there during the daytime for the past week or so anyway. Then I brought the new little ones out & put them in with Jack, who was not at all thrilled with his new charges. The drama didn't start until evening was approaching and the teenie boppers (moose's kids) realized that they weren't getting to go roost up with Jack. They wanted nothing to do with the coop and those nasty old biddies who kept tossing them down off the roost. Luckily, DH took the evening shift and referreed (sp?) until things settled down in the coop. Then he had to go catch all the lavs and put them up on their roost for their first night out of the house. Everyone survived their ordeals and were bright-eyed and bushy tailed this morning. [​IMG] Jack was still being sassy to the lavs today so I chased him out to be with the rest of the flock since Moose is still not fully recovered. At first, he went to hide in the coop, but I went & got him & brought him outside to watch everyone play in the sunshine. After he calmed down, he was suddenly big little man on campus and was crowing up a storm, giving the ladies his full attention. There was more drama tonight with the biddies not wanting to share the top roost, but finally some of the bigger ones stood up to them & wouldn't be bullied down, making way for the rest of the teens to get up on the high roost. (It pays to have cameras in the coop). [​IMG] It also helped that Jack finally got between them. Whew! So all is finally quiet inside the coop. For tonight anyway, I hope............

That's all I got. Sweet dreams, all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by