Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Sending hugs to Dr. H..sorry to hear of your dad passing. You are in my prayers

Sounds like you have a nice hatch going Cassie..

I have all of my eggs still in the bator. I am hoping for all 31 to hatch. I am worried about one of my Basque's. I only have three of them. I needed all three to be good to hope for at least one female. At least I know where to get a few more.
lau.gif
. I do not think the pullet egg is fertile.

TO I only have three fertile egg from you unless these lil buggers take a while to get going. 23 days to hatch?

Jim..your building is sure moving quickly for this weather.

Vicki

I like to use the old glass for the chicks too

Last edited:
Eating my yummy leftover lunch here( made an awesome roast last night with lots of herbs, a can of beef broth and some tomatoes I had frozen from last summer, braised it for 2 hours and then added potatoes and onions and carrots for a bit longer...was fall off the bone good)
and was day dreaming about my little chicks that will hatch in a few days... and had a question I did not know the answer to and came to my experts...

does the time you put the chicks in lockdown and take out the turner and add in some water to raise humidity affect the time of hatch. So if I do it at 10 am Thursday vs 10 pm Thursday...when would they hatch on Saturday?

Thanks chicken gurus

Hey everyone Sorry to be MIA but things have been hectic. Mom's memorial service was Sat and Dad passed away on Sun. Don't know when I'll be back on. Hope your all well and your chickens are laying. A few people know how to get a hold of me if anything is needed that I can help with.

My deepest sympathy to you for your very great loss!

Dr haha, my condolences.

Delish, I love reading little stories about how u got started ;-) glad that box changed your mind!!

Cs, thx for the pics! The kid dos ♡ them :)

Best wishes to everybodys hatches!!!!!!!

Eating my yummy leftover lunch here( made an awesome roast last night with lots of herbs, a can of beef broth and some tomatoes I had frozen from last summer, braised it for 2 hours and then added potatoes and onions and carrots for a bit longer...was fall off the bone good)
and was day dreaming about my little chicks that will hatch in a few days... and had a question I did not know the answer to and came to my experts...

does the time you put the chicks in lockdown and take out the turner and add in some water to raise humidity affect the time of hatch. So if I do it at 10 am Thursday vs 10 pm Thursday...when would they hatch on Saturday?

Thanks chicken gurus
Humidity effects everything. Thursday at 10 am choose a few eggs and candle. If you have internal pips, take the turner out. If you don't..check at 10pm.

This is just my opinion. If you read stats, more chicks drowned at lock down. Too high of humidity too soon. Depending on development of chicks is when to raise humidity and do lock down..not day..IMHO..internal pip is a good deciding factor. Some even wait till external pip before lock down. Not all incubators are the same. I personally do not do lock down until first external pip. I am looking for it daily now. It should be tomorrow, but it might not be until Thursday or Friday.
hu.gif
. They are not due until Saturday and Sunday.

The kiddos have their first practics show may 11. Im soooo excited for them! It is a 4h informational deal. I cant wait to bombard everyone there with questions!!! Lol

Carol- There is another person that processes birds that might be cheaper and not far from you off hwy 104

I could get you their phone # if you like. The name is Miller I believe.

We grew two batches of meaties last year and because we sell them . . . and my husband was a meat cutter in his previous work life, we took them to Twin City. But that is a bit of a drive, someplace closer would be great - do you know if this Miller and Abendroths are inspected?

Dr. H, our thoughts are with you and your family!

The 3 orps went on a tour around the yard today. Then I shooed them inside where they decided to take a long dust bath. After a long bath, I shooed them upstairs to the coop. Just taking some time to show them the ropes and familiarize them to their new surroundings like their momma would have done.
The wyandottes and ameraucanas in the basement are happily eating and bathing. I forgot how much babies eat!

Dr haha, my condolences.

Delish, I love reading little stories about how u got started ;-) glad that box changed your mind!!

Cs, thx for the pics! The kid dos ♡ them :)

Best wishes to everybodys hatches!!!!!!!

lol..it really didn't. My daughter Jessica and foster daughter Lisa were chick crazy. Between dragging around kittens..they usually had a baby chick too. I did not really *get* into chickens for showing until I remarried. I always considered them just food. And still do to some extent. If they are not laying enough eggs to pay for feed I am doing something wrong and I need to change kind of thing. My DH spoiles me and allows me these Orpingtons and Wyndottes. They are different somehow. I will never get enough eggs to pay for expenses for them, and he does not seem to care all that much. Eating machines...is what they are.

Back
Top Bottom