Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey guys, I live in belleville, 15mins south of madison. I havent been on the forum much lately but we just finished building our chicken tractor and we love it. we got 6 bantams. two silver laced wyandottes, one golden laced wyandotte, one black wyandotte, and two columbian rocks. They are fitting in perfect in our back yard, but we are looking for two more bantams. i was hoping for a easter eagger, i have never owned a hen just a rooster and we really want to add a hen to our flock. and maybe one other kind. I was hoping someone on this forum would be able to help us out. we would be willing to pay a premium for a younger pullet or hen. if you guys have any other bantams that are available please let me know. We are not interested in feather footed unless its a Millie Fleur D'Uccles. Also we are interested in the larger bantams. Thank you so much guys ill work on getting a picture of our coop. it turned out great.
Thanks
Chad

Dang phone... I wasnt done writing!
Nice coop Chad! Have u checked out Cluck (the chicken store) in Paoli yet? Susan may know of someone u can get chicks from. (I'm from Bville too! Crazy small world!)
Don't rememberer what else I read... anyway,
Gotta coax my kid in for a nap. Thats getting harder and harder to manage!

Chad and Amy: Too cool you are both from Bville - I lived there for 30+ years and am now between Bville and NG near KritiP . . . sounds like a group meet up is needed ;-)
highfive.gif

I agree with Amy, Susan at Cluck may know someone that can help you out with the birds your are looking for, if someone on this forum doesn't come through. Speaking from my limited experience, know the person you purchase from. We had purchased 12 birds from a person on CraigsList, four of which are bantam Wyandottes (two white, a blue, and a black - cute little buggers). None of the birds were handled enough as chicks so they freak out when we try to handle them. That is one of my goals this summer - find a way to win them over
fl.gif

I absolutely love your mobile coop. We have been at this "chicken thing" for a year now. We've built one chicken tractor and are in the process of building coop # 3. As many on this site have said . . . this chicken gig is addictive, but oh so much fun!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks berrychicks and amy. I have stopped by the cluck chicken store. I actually got a number from susan for our chickens we have now. I was going to stop down there today and talk with her about differnt kinds of bedding. right now we are using a pelletized pine bedding that i thought might work better since its heavier than shavings. i hate when the birds kick bedding in their waterers and feeders. but the pellet pine bedding doesnt work how i hoped. i maybe switching over to a fine shaved bedding. I was going to go with sand because it seems to be the latest craze but i would need to many 50# bags to make it work. the chicken tractor is heavy enough as it is, let alone adding 200-250 pounds of sand.... @ berrychick we live over on CC just outside of belleville. It will be 2 years this october. Do you know any of the Neaths from belleville?

I got a bale of shavings from Cluck, but she may have ideas for other stuff. I also put down some straw as I read several times it was ok to use, but then also heard contrary... I'm currently working on removing the long pieces and leaving the chaff/small bits. Ugh. The shavings goes gery kicked around but I figure thats just what happens?
Getting excited for my 10 babies tomorrow! Does anyone have experience with Landmarks ' browns? Evidently they are a red sex-link, aka cinnamon queen? I ordered from there I my rush to replace my lost ones. I hope they are nice!

I'm going to go look at incubators. Not "for sure" that I'll come home with one, but a lot of people are incouraging me to do so and to try my first couple of hatches out first for practice before ordering expensive eggs on rare breeds b/c so much can go wrong. Does anyone have any hatching eggs for sale? If so, what kind and how much? I'm just looking at a smaller, more affordable incubator to start out with. I can't drop $350-700 right now, as I've heard prices can range pretty good dependingo n what all you get. I've also heard you can get a name brand one for $149 on sale - but it only holds 7 eggs??? Really??? My friend told me a few weeks ago she got one at Farm & Fleet for only $45 ($30 more for the auto rotate) and it hold 48 eggs or 41 with the rotator in it. Okay, yeah, I realize you can't always buy the cheapest model out there and I realize you get what you pay for. But I'm just giving an example. A 7-egg one for $150 on sale vs a 48 egg one for $45??? Who wouldn't try to get something cheaper when you compare it like that? Know what I mean? I've no clue what kind it is, if it'll work, or if I'll hve constant problems with it, but if they have better ones that are $100-150 I'm willing to get a better one. But to be honest, I wouldn't know a better one if it was staring me in the face. It's all a toss of the dice for me since I've never done this before.
first off , don't just go buy one because it is cheaper or not.. instead of giving us just prices,, also give us what make these are .. we can help you with your selection, but we need more info ..

I for one, do not want you to go buy one without getting guidance, and then listen to you complain because you are not satisfied..

I am using "you" to encompass everybody,, I am not singling anyone out..

Thanks berrychicks and amy. I have stopped by the cluck chicken store. I actually got a number from susan for our chickens we have now. I was going to stop down there today and talk with her about differnt kinds of bedding. right now we are using a pelletized pine bedding that i thought might work better since its heavier than shavings. i hate when the birds kick bedding in their waterers and feeders. but the pellet pine bedding doesnt work how i hoped. i maybe switching over to a fine shaved bedding. I was going to go with sand because it seems to be the latest craze but i would need to many 50# bags to make it work. the chicken tractor is heavy enough as it is, let alone adding 200-250 pounds of sand.... @ berrychick we live over on CC just outside of belleville. It will be 2 years this october. Do you know any of the Neaths from belleville?

We get our pine shavings from Verona Farm & Fleet http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...dding-premium-pine-shavings.html#.UaZpt9jyR8E this is Guardian brand horse bedding, but is the best we have found. We first used it with our meat birds. I do know that you want to stay away from cedar chips, I understand it can be harmful to the birds. I know Hwy CC and the Neaths that live out on D and DD, are they the ones you are referring to?

I am taking a break.. I worked alone today and got all the rest of the walls put together,, Now I am looking for a strong back and a weak mind to help me set them up;; Bro will come tomorrow afternoon..

before I forget.. You do not have to sort the straw.. don't believe everything you read until you check it out with us here on cheeseheads.. straw is good.. shavings is good,, sand is good, wood chips is good.. newspaper: not so good.. too slippery.. shredded newspaper is good..

I have a 9 AM appt to get the Blazer looked at.. I think it is just spark plug wires.. fingers crossed.

Way off topic...Do hens usually start moulting this time of year> Trying to figure out if its all the lovin' from the roos or if the hens are starting to moult!!
(I am getting ready to order aprons for their backs as I have so many that are bare-and sad to say they almost all need one-got me to thinking maybe they are starting to moult) 2 roos to 21 hens right now and 4 more hens growing up. geez boys

Will there be any other 13 yr olds at the bash this weekend?

Any recommendations on golf courses near the bash/Clintonville? My other half is wanting to get a round of golf in Sat.

Last edited:
Way off topic...Do hens usually start moulting this time of year> Trying to figure out if its all the lovin' from the roos or if the hens are starting to moult!!

(I am getting ready to order aprons for their backs as I have so many that are bare-and sad to say they almost all need one-got me to thinking maybe they are starting to moult) 2 roos to 21 hens right now and 4 more hens growing up. geez boys

Rae has 11 girls that are laying. He is the only mature roo. Our girls all have naked heads. But nothing missing off their backs... sorry I am no help with molting tho. I have read that you need to keep their spurs trimmed. Rea is only one? And his are short and nubby.

Jim, my fingers are crossed...

Psycho, I just bought a good bator off the bat. I have to completely agree with big fam ( about the bator only) ;-) zeke borrowed us a little giant (I beleive) it was awesome of him. But it was a pain to keep adding water for humidity. The dicki has a big bucket. And regulates with a float. We set itup mon with to's eggs. It has kept a constant temp and humidity. Get one nice one, watch cl. Im glad we got this. Prly payed a little more than nnecessary. But I feel it will be worth it. Ive been on12 hours since I dont know when. $ well spent.

Back
Top Bottom