Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I like the talk about Maremmas since I had never heard of them before I belonged to this group and had to catch up exhaustedly all of Jims posts... lol.

Okay now, and who of you all south of here exactly ordered yet another big snowfall?!?!?
barnie.gif
Again, I do NOT like this anymore, not in the middle OR the end of March! Enough already and let spring and nicer weather finally set in! So not nice of you...

Ducks and chickens were out earlier, nodding standing up on one leg while the chickens sneaked around the gazebo clucking to see if the front into the duck house is clear.
wink.png
After the snow started falling about a good hour ago the duckies reclaimed it and the chickens went back under the topper to wait it out just to head out again.

Got a question: how do you figure out if a chicken is broody? (sorry, just never had chickens before, and the pheasants are NOT broody at all) Yes, my special Pekin is definitely a broody one, as is one of my Rouen girls, although she gets chased off the nest from my Pekin quite often. Just wondering bout the chickens...

Also got a batch of Saxony duck eggs and a BIG batch of BL now in the bator. Will see if those will finally start growing in the new bator. Would be a shame to find out that the new expensive bator, all digitally docked out, doesn't like us much and fails us on hatching out the eggs for us.
sad.png

Oki, back to the snow again. Hope SO don't forget to bring another belt for our ancient Ford tractor for we can plow again, which is probably necessary later on tonite
rant.gif

I like the talk about Maremmas since I had never heard of them before I belonged to this group and had to catch up exhaustedly all of Jims posts... lol.

Okay now, and who of you all south of here exactly ordered yet another big snowfall?!?!?
barnie.gif
Again, I do NOT like this anymore, not in the middle OR the end of March! Enough already and let spring and nicer weather finally set in! So not nice of you...

Ducks and chickens were out earlier, nodding standing up on one leg while the chickens sneaked around the gazebo clucking to see if the front into the duck house is clear.
wink.png
After the snow started falling about a good hour ago the duckies reclaimed it and the chickens went back under the topper to wait it out just to head out again.

Got a question: how do you figure out if a chicken is broody? (sorry, just never had chickens before, and the pheasants are NOT broody at all) Yes, my special Pekin is definitely a broody one, as is one of my Rouen girls, although she gets chased off the nest from my Pekin quite often. Just wondering bout the chickens...

Also got a batch of Saxony duck eggs and a BIG batch of BL now in the bator. Will see if those will finally start growing in the new bator. Would be a shame to find out that the new expensive bator, all digitally docked out, doesn't like us much and fails us on hatching out the eggs for us.
sad.png

Oki, back to the snow again. Hope SO don't forget to bring another belt for our ancient Ford tractor for we can plow again, which is probably necessary later on tonite
rant.gif
My broodies puff up their feathers and growl at me when I even think about coming close to where they are nesting. Even have the one BLRW that randomly will take a good bite of my hand.

barnie.gif

wink.png

sad.png

rant.gif
Snow? I can't see outside from my basement dungeon.. it was sunny when I cam down here..

the chicken will let you know with no uncertainty if she is broody.. if she is sitting in a nest, take her out.. she will complain a lot.. probably squat right where you put her down, or go back int a nest right away.. she will often fluff out her feathers to look more menacing , and sometimes will bite you if you try to pick her up, or even get near.. I think that just about covers it, eh?

.......jiminwisc......

I know that look well,, we had an Anatolian female,, she was the same way.. she died at the age of 16.. long over the expected lifespan..

.......jiminwisc...........

Did she cock her head to the side also? One ear straight up the other folded. From all I have been told and have found 10 years is a long life for Anatolians.

He is the oddest dog. He has decided he wants to sleep under my bed. Problem is only his head can make it under the bed.

Quote:
.......jiminwisc...........

Did she cock her head to the side also? One ear straight up the other folded. From all I have been told and have found 10 years is a long life for Anatolians.

He is the oddest dog. He has decided he wants to sleep under my bed. Problem is only his head can make it under the bed.
yep, the cocked head,,, that is the "thinking it over" stance ..

we got Alex when she was about 9.. she had never been on a farm.. My daughter got her as a pup, but then she sold her house and couldn't have her in an apartment..

she paid $800.oo for her with the agreement that she would have her fixed..
I thought she was crazy , at the time..
but now I am glad she bought her.. otherwise we would never have been introduced to the LGD's..
I don't know why every stock or chicken owner doesn't have one..

we had about 50 baby chicks when she came here.. she was lying down in the yard and all of these chicks were climbing the white mountain and exploring all over her.. she never batted an eye.. Prolly enjoyed the attention ..

Last edited:
CC, glad to see the new additions.
big_smile.png

Cuties, I am trying to figure out what you need a styro bator and turner for since you have that giant incubating machine at your house? I have one you may borrow as well, and it comes rigged with computer fan.

Say does anyone here know where I can get meat rabbits already processed? I see there is a place down by Madison, but I cannot find anyone local. I will raise them myself if I have to, but wanted to check out all other sources first. I want to feed the cats ground raw rabbit (good thing Frenchie is taking a break from BYC). It is the most complete quality protein available for cats, and if this is what it takes to keep the geriatric crowd healthy then so be it.

That is all for now. Thanks for the dinner idea BigZ, the burgers were scrumptious!

We raise meat rabbits- we have an extra junior doe and a senior buck if you decide to raise them yourself
big_smile.png

yep, the cocked head,,, that is the "thinking it over" stance ..

we got Alex when she was about 9.. she had never been on a farm.. My daughter got her as a pup, but then she sold her house and couldn't have her in an apartment..

she paid $800.oo for her with the agreement that she would have her fixed..
I thought she was crazy , at the time..
but now I am glad she bought her.. otherwise we would never have been introduced to the LGD's..
I don't know why every stock or chicken owner doesn't have one..

we had about 50 baby chicks when she came here.. she was lying down in the yard and all of these chicks were climbing the white mountain and exploring all over her.. she never batted an eye.. Prolly enjoyed the attention ..

My Maremma is a push over. Our Rouen Drake has him pegged. If we put him in the pen outside the drake will keep Miles ( our pup ) out of the "duck" house.

We have 11 Welsummer chicks and 3 Pekin ducklings ( got them last week as day olds ) in plastic storage bins in my bedroom. Miles jumps and checks them whenever they make an odd sound. He is not fixed and if we do get him fixed it will be in a year or two. DH has talked to a few people who think we should stud him out, since the breed is so rare here in the states.

I love him and I watch him with the ducks, chickens, and rabbits. He is protective of them.

My male has the same fetish.. I have to remind him once in awhile that my toes are still in my sock..

I am still curious,, where did he come from ? I know of only 4 people in this state who sell pups.. and one of them quit doing it.. they still have 5 of them with their flock, but they had them all fixed ..

4 ft tall ? I think you hit the wrong key.. check your ruler, I think a foot is broken off the end..

I have mine more or less trained to not bark in the house.. they do if someone knocks on the door, but shut up immediately when I say "OK" .. they are the same outdoors.

once they recognize a vehicle that has been there and got the "OK", they don't bark at it again.

..........jiminwisc..........

I am talking his standing height. His head to the floor when he is standing on all fours is 4 ft and he is still growing. He is a good 5 to 6 feet in body length.

We got him from a family near Polar, Wi. They told us they were doing just the one litter and then getting mom fixed. Mom ran off into the woods with the pups when we got there. Apparently mom did not like the pups disappearing when strangers showed up.

We work with Miles daily. He gets excited for the kids to come home and play with him. He has a stuffed hedgehog that he plays tug of war with the kids with and then fetch for them when they are tired of the tug of war matches lol He is still a puppy even though most people think he is full grown. He watches me when people come here. If I tense he will stand between them and me. Woe it be anybody coming here to do us harm. Miles I think would do them greater harm.

Well I just candled eggs and have 14 thriving chicks. 7 BLRW, 4 EE, 2 SS and 1 from barn coop which is OrpxMaran. I just refilled the 10 un-fertile eggs with 4 SS, 3 BLRW, 1 EE and 2 Barn eggs. I did a really dumb thing and had been collecting eggs from my banty coop but after finding them all unfertile and wondering why as those had always had nice eggs last year. I realized that the only roo that had been in there was Jose my he/she and doesn't breed. What a duh moment. I won't be able to separate my BLRW's until more snow melts as all my pens are covered as I hadn't used them so was no point to keep them shoveled out. When time comes I'll pair Hephaestus with the 3 Foley girls and let Zeus keep the Americanas and Hera. I will also pen the BO's to hatch out some pure chicks to sell. Until this darn snow is gone I have nowhere to put them for breeding and it makes it a pain as I should be hatching all pure chicks by now. I'm going to ask the person I borrowed the foam incubator from last fall if he wants to sell it instead of borrowing as it needs to be tweaked badly. It will go against everything I went thru last fall to give it another try but I hate feeling defeated and I hear so many of you use them with success. The Brinsea is golden, but 24 eggs just doesn't seem to be enough when you have a plan in order.

Isn't a Lemon Cuckoo Orp a Barred Rock crossed with a BO? I didn't even want them but daughter brought home 2 chicks and only one lived.
You in the market for a new virile banty roo? I have more than I need, especially with upcoming hatches. I would sell you one of mine.

Back
Top Bottom