Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

The chicks are 5 days old I have a total of 10. My first hatch ever, I had 12 hatch and 2 more that needed help hatching... the 2 that needed help did not make it, 2 more were very weak and didn't make it....So 10 left. I have 2 with poop sticking around their butts, I have been keeping the vents clear by wiping multiple times a day... any other hints/tips to try for those two? The one has had feathers plucked from his butt by his broodmates, it's not bleeding though. He/she seems tired today as well....I hope they are going to be O.K. :(
sniff, sniff... it didn't make the night.... I'm a terrible chick Mama :/ I have them under a heat lamp, they don't act too warm or cold, fresh food, a nipple waterer which they took to very well..I'm perplexed :(

I'm alive. Been busy around here.

• Car accident we had a few weeks ago. Car totaled by the insurance, but we are fine considering
  • Husband was found to have enlarged thyroid. He is now on meds
  • Daughter had some minor surgery and is recovering
  • Ducklings were moved into the garage brooder after they flooded out the indoor brooder
  • Had one of the Welsummers in the one brooder make an escape and landed in with the Bantams. We lost 5 of the 10 Bantams. Now I put a lid over the Bantams brooder so that does not happen again.
  • 48 eggs in the incubator and all look good on day 4.
  • We are rearranging the rabbit cages to make it easier to maintain.
  • Pulled the kids from school to homeschool

So I may go quiet, but that is usually life taking me away from the computer.

And whoever keeps asking for more snow would you please STOP. I have had enough already and I am seeing several fields that are completely flooded out with all the melt and then the refreeze is making them skating rinks lol Now to go and get some seeds started with the kids for their science lesson for the day.

I'm alive. Been busy around here.

• Car accident we had a few weeks ago. Car totaled by the insurance, but we are fine considering
  • Husband was found to have enlarged thyroid. He is now on meds
  • Daughter had some minor surgery and is recovering
  • Ducklings were moved into the garage brooder after they flooded out the indoor brooder
  • Had one of the Welsummers in the one brooder make an escape and landed in with the Bantams. We lost 5 of the 10 Bantams. Now I put a lid over the Bantams brooder so that does not happen again.
  • 48 eggs in the incubator and all look good on day 4.
  • We are rearranging the rabbit cages to make it easier to maintain.
  • Pulled the kids from school to homeschool

So I may go quiet, but that is usually life taking me away from the computer.

And whoever keeps asking for more snow would you please STOP. I have had enough already and I am seeing several fields that are completely flooded out with all the melt and then the refreeze is making them skating rinks lol Now to go and get some seeds started with the kids for their science lesson for the day.
I am also homeschooling my boys this year! Good luck with it, I found a free site online for all my teachings besides what they are doing around the "farm". Son 15 also has a job down the road milking cows in the mornings.

Florida?????? What??????? Did you hear the snow was coming and skipped town?????? Trader!!!!!!!! You left us all here to deal with this crap on our own????? We will save some for you, okay??????? LOL

I hesitated to let you know I was in Florida, but I guess the sun and warmth has gotten to me.

1876-there are a lot of members that aren't posting anymore for whatever reason and they are dearly missed. I hope that they are all alive still?????? Has anyone heard from our MIA members?

I was thinking that after this long winter, any type if warmth is causing everyone to get out and clean coops, prepare for new chicks, install bees (in my case), care for animals, etc.

Hope your problems with your Blazer work out Jim, buying a vehicle is one of the things I hate doing the most. You never know what will happen when you drive away. Like happened with my Jeep, after the new transmission it seems to be running good so far but I can't stand the mileage(14mpg all winter) I've been wanting to get something else but just can't get myself to do it. I did get a little 95 Saturn 2 door a few weeks ago to help with gas prices but it only cost $600 so I'm not out like I was with the Jeep. 

Put 17 eggs in lockdown Sunday and another 14 today, more tomorrow for the HAL, many were not fertile or quit but those mainly were eggs I got from 4 different chicken people. I originally had 83 set for the Easter HAL but doubt I"ll have have make it to lock down. Just pulled 2 stinky ones out which I've never experienced with any of my own eggs. I only have 15 chicks which isn't so bad as this dang weather is not cooperating. I see this am we are under a warning for 6 or more inches, sure wish it would end. I agree CS this is enough for many years to come. 

I have a DSLR camera so I can set my shutter speed fast to catch photos of the chicks easier than alot of reg. cameras. It sure helps with those wiggly buggers.

I hear people talk about moving their eggs into lock down.Do you start incubating in a cabinet incubator and the move to something smaller? I just have 1 incubator that they start and hatch in.

sniff, sniff... it didn't make the night.... I'm a terrible chick Mama :/ I have them under a heat lamp, they don't act too warm or cold, fresh food, a nipple waterer which they took to very well..I'm perplexed :(

Sorry to hear this. ... I guess it's just survival of the fittest!!

I am also homeschooling my boys this year! Good luck with it, I found a free site on-line for all my teachings besides what they are doing around the "farm". Son 15 also has a job down the road milking cows in the mornings.
My oldest is 11 the youngest 5. This is not the first time I have home schooled, but it is the first time since we moved to Wisconsin. I was lied to when we moved here that you had to do a formal school and the at home school was out of the question. Then I found a group here that home schooled. I could not pull the children fast enough.

This is why we do not sell bunnies for a month before and up to that after Easter.
thumbsup.gif
I agree with you on this...so easy to longer want the animal once it gets big.

Sunny here but cold.

Off to work- painting, the unit is starting to look better!

Have a good one

Tried to stay up to watch the eclipse, passed out at 12:20, woke up again at 2:20 and went back to sleep.

Fernie, I am so sorry somebody lied to you about homeschooling in WI. No you do not need to have any formal training or schooling after HS, I am not even sure if they require the parent to have a HS diploma. I know many who homeschool; some do a fantastic job and others fail miserably. I considered doing it myself but then decided to go back to school so I supplement my children's education as much as possible to 'fill in the holes'.

This snow can melt anytime now....

Time for a second cup.

Back
Top Bottom