Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

That reminds me of another question.
The bator says to leave the red plugs in until hatch time then open them to help dry chicks. I saw on the hatchalong that someone posted that they will never incubate with the plugs in after to many bad hatches. They said they kept them open for better ventilation. I removed my two red plugs and it really didn't hurt the humidity. So.....thoughts or comments?

Avocadoeggs,

Try Roundabout Farms near Spring Green. They more than likely have the Wellsummers that you want.

[email protected]

Look up Roundabout Farms on the internet. You'll want to speak to travis.

very cool eggs, but she lays the least amount of all of my chickens.

Thank you. I have family near there so that would be an ideal trip...I'll keep them in mind as I'm deciding on which breeds to start with this year. Welsummers might end up being a year 2 thing for me after I break myself in as a chicken parent. :)

avocado, if you can get pullets, I'd say go for it. But if they are straight run, don't waste your time because they will mostly be roosters. Do you have any feed stores in your area? What Wisconnie towns are you closest to? Someone might be able to help you out on here. 

Thank you - I have been warned about straight run so I have avoided those. There's a few smaller feed stores but each one I've called has not had much for chicks if at all. I'm south of the Lake Geneva area about a half hour.

Sorry for changing the subject but if anybody has any ideas on this let me know:

I was thinking about getting some duckeggs shipped, to hatch, but I'm not sure if I should, asthe hatch rate is always low? But there as I live in Northern Ireland (UK) there army any hatcheries near by, so I don't know what to do? I don't want to waste my money!
oh wow you live in A Ireland? Cool....must know someone here in Cheese land or be from here?
Anyway.....shipped eggs....hmmm. What can I say... are you a gambler? LOL you wouldn't be shipping from here would you? Not sure how the postal service is there but here I think it is getting worse but with that being said shipped eggs can and do hatch. A lot depends on not only the postal service but how they are packed. The age of the egg and the health of the flock they are coming from.
What kind of ducks are you looking for? If you don't have them shipped from to far your chances are much better of them getting to you safely. Plus if you are not looking for show stock and are just looking for pets they won't cost as much. Check your local Craigslist for local ads or put an ad for eggs.
I'd ship you some but my magpies and Cayuga are running with muscovies and will produce sterile eggs ! We'll their eggs would be sterile but the crosses that I have out there are. :(

Evening To Everyone.... Welcome to the new folks. I would start with chicks dutch if you don't already have a incubator. A lot of folks on here can help you out with peeps. Shipped eggs are risky at best. Local is the best bet if possible...however driving to pick them up beats shipped chicks if that can be worked out. Less stress for the chicks that way.

I would also try to find local ducks in your area overseas by you.

Can't offer any help frenchie...I'm not familiar with your incubator.

Nothing like a big piece of pork on Sunday Jim...
droolin.gif
I'll exercise tomorrow.

bigz

That's ok Bigz... this ain't my first ride around the block. Guess I'm just getting nervous !!! Reading to much ! They are either going to hatch or not. Their chances are either 0 or 100 !
Ha that's what my doctor told me my chances were once !!! LOL True !

Now I'm getting nervous IF the new batch hatches on the Weekend of the Midwest Horse Fare ! I've got a room in Madison for 4 nights....leaving ET Home Alone tending to 3 incubators !!!!!! Now that is scary !!! LOL

Can't wait or the bash....I can unload all the roosters I might hatch !!! LOL
I ordered two spot check thermometers from Brinsea on the 23rd. They haven't arrived yet. Checked the tracking.... they are delayed. Last update they left Oshkosh. Thing is they go to Rothschild before coming up here !!! So did all of my eggs ! should have had Jim pick them up !!! LOL

Can't believe only 6 days til chicks are chirping for Easter.... how time flys while slobbering over the top of the incubator. Just like watching paint dry.... well maybe a little bit more exciting !!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hi all, just catching up on posts, no chickens yet. Deciding whether to start by ordering chicks or by incubating shipped eggs...any suggestions?
Where about in the state are you located, if you don't mind me asking, and what breeds are you interested in? There may be someone on here close to you that could help you out with chicks or eggs, or at least might be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry if I asked you this before but with all the newbies pouring in all at once, I can't keep you all straight.
hide.gif

Hi All!

avocado.....With a little luck and a kick in the pants, I'm going to try here for birds.....

20th Annual Fur & Feather Swap
The 2015 Walworth County Fur & Feather Swap will be held Saturday April 4th 7 to 10 am at the Walworth Co Fair Grounds Hwy 11 East Elkhorn WI. Rabbits-poultry-small-animals-equipment-crafts-lunch stand.
Adult admission-$2- children under 12 free. Outside selling spot $5 Inside with one table $10.
State law requires all poultry be accompanied by health papers copies will be collected before entry.

It's not a big show and you have to get there early, but worth a shot. (I live in Lyons, east of LG)

FT... I just figured you would bring the cord to the bash. It would coast as much to mail as what it coast to buy! LOL

Odd.... we had pork too!

Good thing the weather will be nice this week, wood splitter broke... no clue what's wrong.

I think the wind blew the eggs out of the chickens today! 17 eggs! I think I only have about 20 layers left and a few of them are over 2, so a good egg day!

Night All!

oh wow you live in A Ireland? Cool....must know someone here in Cheese land or be from here?
Anyway.....shipped eggs....hmmm. What can I say... are you a gambler? LOL you wouldn't be shipping from here would you? Not sure how the postal service is there but here I think it is getting worse but with that being said shipped eggs can and do hatch. A lot depends on not only the postal service but how they are packed. The age of the egg and the health of the flock they are coming from.
What kind of ducks are you looking for? If you don't have them shipped from to far your chances are much better of them getting to you safely. Plus if you are not looking for show stock and are just looking for pets they won't cost as much. Check your local Craigslist for local ads or put an ad for eggs.
I'd ship you some but my magpies and Cayuga are running with muscovies and will produce sterile eggs ! We'll their eggs would be sterile but the crosses that I have out there are. :(

Thanks and I'm not sure I don't mind, I would like them more for pets than anything

Back
Top Bottom