Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I did know about the quarantine thing. I also, cancelled my order for the hybrids, I called Sunnyside and that is all they sell. But, this fellow dropping off birds to me tomorrow only has RIR and we have decided to just go that route. I do have 3 hens that are sexlink, just have keep them separate from the rooster, I guess. The Delaware I have I guess will have to be separate also. I'll get it done. My coop that I have now will only hold 7 birds, but, I am getting a deep brooder tonight that I can keep the new chicks in. At least I hope I can. We will be building a larger coop in the next couple of weeks. It is 3' high and 4' long or maybe longer. so, finger cross. Thanks for all the info guys, it did make me make up my mind at least. I was floundering like a fish outta water.
If you are not going to be breeding your birds, which I don't recommend until next year like Jim suggested, you can put all of your birds together in your larger coop sometime after it is finished. For right now, keep your adults where you have them and put the new chicks in your brooder. In a month, after quarantine, you can put your new birds and your existing flock together in your new larger coop. Just be sure to supervise because there will be squabbles. There might not be too many due to them all being in a new environment but it is hard to say for certain.

The only time you need to separate your birds is if you want to hatch out purebred chicks. If you only have RIR roosters, all you will have to do (if you can't tell whose eggs are whose) is put your RIR hens in your old coop for a few days until you collect the amount of eggs you want to incubate. Then you can release your hens back into the flock. Very easy & uncomplicated. The only time it gets complicated is if you have roosters of different breeds. But for now I think you should concentrate on getting your new coop finished first and then getting all your birds moved into it. There is no need to worry about separating your birds or breeding until next spring, IF you want to breed purebreds.

If you are not going to be breeding your birds, which I don't recommend until next year like Jim suggested, you can put all of your birds together in your larger coop sometime after it is finished. For right now, keep your adults where you have them and put the new chicks in your brooder. In a month, after quarantine, you can put your new birds and your existing flock together in your new larger coop. Just be sure to supervise because there will be squabbles. There might not be too many due to them all being in a new environment but it is hard to say for certain.

The only time you need to separate your birds is if you want to hatch out purebred chicks. If you only have RIR roosters, all you will have to do (if you can't tell whose eggs are whose) is put your RIR hens in your old coop for a few days until you collect the amount of eggs you want to incubate. Then you can release your hens back into the flock. Very easy & uncomplicated. The only time it gets complicated is if you have roosters of different breeds. But for now I think you should concentrate on getting your new coop finished first and then getting all your birds moved into it. There is no need to worry about separating your birds or breeding until next spring, IF you want to breed purebreds.
So I wound up with 1 RIR roo, and now have 8 hens (including my 4 original girls). I put the newbies in the brooder, and was concerned overnite to wake up this morning, rush out and see that they were all fine. Their water did not have any floor material in it nor did the feed. So it was just stress that was messing up everything yesterday. They are all feathered out and flying. We put a peice of chicken wire over the top. We will start turning the shed into a coop this afternoon after Church. DS has to weed wack the field infront of the coop so we do not, (at least me cause I am short) wades thru head high grass.My older girls are so fun, when I cannot see them, I go outside and call and here they come just a running. The RIR are somewhat flighty, hoping that settles down after we have them in the chicken shed. We will be putting a door on, mucking out the floor, and putting in a roost with an old latter we have sitting around. Unless the wood on the latter is not good. I plan on using a large tote attached to the wall, with some plastic dishwashing tubs in one. Figure 4 tubs would be enough for nests. 2 hens to a nest, right? I will have it just inside the door so I can just reach around and gather the eggs. Figure that way I won't disturb too much......I was told yesterday, and maybe on the site, but, I have read so much, can't remember everything. That I should not use cedar shavings for bedding or nest. Is that just for young chicks or all chicks and why was that,?

firstchic I'm not the one looking, that is wyo. I was offering to send wyo a couple so I can get rid of my extras and s/he can take advantage of that.

wyo, they are the threaded style btw.
Sorry, I think I am answer one person and am writing to someone else completely. Don't know how to follow this site yet. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom