Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Happy Fathers Day to all the Fathers here and now and also the lost ones that are in our thoughts!

Prolly have to fire up the grill for venzun burgers....the garden harvest has been great, with more spinach, radish, and green onions...and not just a few, but a hearty amount...enough to share with others....love my spinach...

Enjoy... this is as good as it gets!

bigz

@wyoDreamer Lemme look around tonight and see if I can find them. I'm sure I would have 5 to spare- just would be glad to share! I got a surplus off Amazon because why only buy a couple in case one doesn't work?

Are you okay with the screw-in style ones?

Hi guys! Lots of breeding talk lately for sure
smile.png

jim,you are sassy!

I separate our breeders for 3 weeks before we begin to collect for hatching. We built them pens in the barn. These pens consist of everything they need. I nesting box, a gravity dish for oister/grit, a large plastic water dish so I can add ACV (Apple Cider Vinager) 5 days a month. And a gravity feed dish that hubby built out of pvc pipe. We also give them roosts. These pens are completely secure inside of our barn. And covered. Most consist of chain link pannels.
We also have a kennel outdoors that most breeds are able to take turn getting outside. However, the bantam and Sumatra can escape that pen. So we bring the outdoors in. We pick the grass and clover and such from the land next to us that is not mowed and throw it in their pen. We also feed them yogurt laced with cianne pepper and garlic every 6 weeks. This is a good natural dewormer.
We have Dubai Roaches. And freeze them to feed the chickens to add protein.
On the other side of the barn hubby built small horse looking stalls. These house my daughters Silkies for breeding and hubby's Light Brahma. These breeds are unable to get out. So the pens are shorter and not covered. These pens also house our grow out chicks from approximately 2 weeks to 10 weeks when they head out to the milk house/free range area.
Hubby built smaller wood framed pens with chicken wire about 3' tall and 3'x5'. These pens are where we house our broody hens. They have all items as the other pens minus a roost. As soon as the babies are big enough to roost, we move them to the main pen.
I so wish I could post you pictures to see the set up. But my BYC had been angry for quite awhile now. And I don't know how to fix it
sad.png

but I hope the info is helpful!
It is a lot of. Work. But very rewarding! Especially to see my kiddos grow learning so much responsibility and compassion ♡

I've seen the Cuties' set up and it is very excellent! A lot of thought, planning and work went into it for sure. Their animals are living in a veritable Taj Mahal!

Hi All!

glarnerchick.... great first eggs! Congrats to you and your hens!

I think I finally decided on a pattern for an afghan for Jon! I'm making him a cotton blend one to act as a trow or thermo blanket. He's on a mountain and it does get chilly at night.

That's all... night all!

Back
Top Bottom