Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey guys! I'm new to BYC, really loving this site! My chicks are about 5 weeks old and almost fully feathered. Do you think it's ok to stop using a heat lamp now? I'm in southeast Wisconsin so it's fairly warm now during the nights. Thanks for any input!
1f600.png

Wow--so much to read! I had tons to reply to but I think most is covered already. Chicken beak...leave it alone if she can eat and drink. Saxony ducks...how good are they at evading a fox? Good idea for an afghan for mountain living Cind. BigZ--we are enjoying my garden harvest too...no finer time of the year!

I stopped for a Barred Owl today on the road...called a bunch of wildlife places. THe farmer figured that it was displaced after a nearby barn was taken down. Seemed OK but I wish it wouldnt sit so close to the road!

DH brought in a portable air conditioning unit to the living room...feels better--less humid but now I hate to go out.

Better do it, then hit the hay! Nighties--TerriO

Help? One of my hens cracked her beak today. I've read about superglue, leaving it alone, washing, etc. It's not too bad looking, and she's eating and drinking.

now, that's a face only a mother could love.
lau.gif

as long as it doesn't bother the chicken, and it can eat and drink, it should not be a problem,
It surely is not detrimental to her looks..

fl.gif
fl.gif

Crossing my fingers that someone can help me out...

I've got an 11 week old Rhode Island Red rooster that i need to find a home for. I can't have roos in the city. He is one of my 5 chicks who was mis-sexed at the hatchery. He has beautiful green tail feathers so I'm guessing he will grow to be a beauty.

Anyone looking for a roos to add to your flock?

I am located in Portage and am willing to drive a little ways to deliver him or meet in the middle.

I can send pictures to anyone interested.

Thanks!!
fl.gif

I don't live far from you...but he would only join my other cockerels hatched out this spring....and soon to go to freezer camp.

Slowly catching up on work. Hopefully able to take more time in the fox hunt. Neighbors & I have been hit hard this year.

I know the tally is 30+ birds v.s. 3 fox having turned vegan.

My last hit was our big bcm roo 2 weeks ago.

Terri,
I don't think my Saxonys could evade anything... lol. they are not high energy and prefer to watch. So I think they would watch a fox eat them.

What a beautiful day it is compared to yesterday.
So much reading to catch up on it all...
Cuties I love your set up, you are the most organized person ever... The chicks are now about 5 weeks old and are really fast... The other birds pay them no mind but mom is one mean bird and no one gets near them... Thinking she will get tired of it all, but also thinking we may as well put them all in the big coop now, one less door to close at night, but then they would be having layer feed. Right now I keep them separate, so all the big girls don't eat all their starter/grower up before they get to it... Must taste awfully good....

Thinking about dunking all the girls... their feathers look pretty ragged some half eaten almost. First I thought one was maybe being picked on around the neck, you know how they do that to a bird and now I am wondering about mites, vent gleet and other vent issues is really due to mites? ( Celtic my red seems to have perked up a bit) I don't see them (mite/lice) on the birds though and I do treat the coop and where they dust with DE and ashes, but with the warming weather maybe the population as exploded... I dusted the coop with Sevin and kept them all out of it on Saturday and plan on re-dusting again this weekend and the next. Is that enough or do I have to dunk them too in something like Permethrin. There are bunches of different mites they could have I suppose anyway give me some ideas all. Thanks!

Glarner happy first egg to you its so eggs-citing...

Oh and we went to Petsmart to dream about a sister-dog for our one-eyed Toby, but she already had an adopter and what should be in the cage next to her but a one-eyed Minature poodle... it took lots of restraint to not walk out with him. Who knows we could check back this weekend... sometimes I just don't know enough to leave well enough alone. Funny thing it was the opposite eye, so if they looked at each other they wouldnt realize the other was missing an eye and together well...

What a beautiful day it is compared to yesterday.
So much reading to catch up on it all...
Cuties I love your set up, you are the most organized person ever... The chicks are now about 5 weeks old and are really fast... The other birds pay them no mind but mom is one mean bird and no one gets near them... Thinking she will get tired of it all, but also thinking we may as well put them all in the big coop now, one less door to close at night, but then they would be having layer feed. Right now I keep them separate, so all the big girls don't eat all their starter/grower up before they get to it... Must taste awfully good....

Thinking about dunking all the girls... their feathers look pretty ragged some half eaten almost. First I thought one was maybe being picked on around the neck, you know how they do that to a bird and now I am wondering about mites, vent gleet and other vent issues is really due to mites? ( Celtic my red seems to have perked up a bit) I don't see them (mite/lice) on the birds though and I do treat the coop and where they dust with DE and ashes, but with the warming weather maybe the population as exploded... I dusted the coop with Sevin and kept them all out of it on Saturday and plan on re-dusting again this weekend and the next. Is that enough or do I have to dunk them too in something like Permethrin. There are bunches of different mites they could have I suppose anyway give me some ideas all. Thanks!

Glarner happy first egg to you its so eggs-citing...

Oh and we went to Petsmart to dream about a sister-dog for our one-eyed Toby, but she already had an adopter and what should be in the cage next to her but a one-eyed Minature poodle... it took lots of restraint to not walk out with him. Who knows we could check back this weekend... sometimes I just don't know enough to leave well enough alone. Funny thing it was the opposite eye, so if they looked at each other they wouldnt realize the other was missing an eye and together well...
what you need is something like this,,
she does have two eyes, though,,
5 weeks old last Sunday,,
will be weaned by next Sunday..

Back
Top Bottom