Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Sclark, that would be perfect but yeah, you're over 4 hrs from me. Unless some of your chickens hitched a ride with your friend's Icelandics...? Yeah, talked OE with cuties, thanks. Hoping to meet sometime in the middle.

Cindlady, that might work! PM me?

Unkadan thanks that's not too far away.

Hello and welcome! My chicks are 7 weeks and just off the heat lamp at night. The protocol, if you have them in a coop and not indoors, is 5* each week. So during the day they should be fine, but the minimum temp at night should be 70* at week 5. With the temps in SE WI, you may be looking at a couple more weeks of nighttime heat lamp.

Week 6- min temp 65
Week 7- 60

But it is up to you. Mine are just getting fully feathered. If yours already are, try it on a warmer night and see how they behave.
Hey dustergrl thanks for the advice! I do have them in a coop which gets fairly warm during the day. I did a trial the other night, the chicks seemed happy in the morning, and the thermometer read 72 when I did morning chores at 5:30am. I'm going to see how they do tonight considering the temp is going to be around 57. GREAT sleeping weather for me, not so great for chicks lol

Thanks for the welcome message Celtic Chick! My chicks are in a brooder which is inside my chicken coop. They seem to be happy so I'm going to play it by ear! They are almost fully feathered so I think they will be comfortable at night. I really appreciate any and all advice!
thumbsup.gif

I have my 2 1/2 week old chicks in my garden shed and am using a heating pad for them. It is pretty warm in there, but when I went out there they were peeping so I turned the heat on to a number 2 setting, which is fairly low. They are sitting on top of it and quiet now. They have feathers on their wings and little tails starting, but still fuzzy heads, backs and butts! lol!

It is sooooo nice to walk into the garden in the morning and not see any deer damage! The fence is working (so far!) and plants are doing fine. So are the weeds but I'm keeping up pretty well. As I was hoeing today I came across a bunch of grubs where the horse puckie was pretty thick. The chickaroos went nuts when I gave them a big bunch of them!

Good morning, Wisconsinites!
I am in the La Crosse area and new to chickens. I have 3 EE and 1 RIR. They were supposed to be pullets, but I suspect one of the EEs is a roo. From looking through this thread, it seems that there are swaps, clubs and associations that are hosted regularly? If the no-crow collar I order doesn't work on my roo, I might have a rooster to rehome in this area. I see WI doesn't have a rooster rescue, and I'd prefer if this one doesn't end up in a Crock Pot (my daughter has become quite attached). Any ideas? I don't necessarily trust Craigslist. Thanks to all!!

Good morning, Wisconsinites!
I am in the La Crosse area and new to chickens. I have 3 EE and 1 RIR. They were supposed to be pullets, but I suspect one of the EEs is a roo. From looking through this thread, it seems that there are swaps, clubs and associations that are hosted regularly? If the no-crow collar I order doesn't work on my roo, I might have a rooster to rehome in this area. I see WI doesn't have a rooster rescue, and I'd prefer if this one doesn't end up in a Crock Pot (my daughter has become quite attached). Any ideas? I don't necessarily trust Craigslist. Thanks to all!!

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom