Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Beautiful melting day here today. It's nice to see the snow slowly melting away....still prolly 10" in most places, but going fast.

Yep, good information about the hens with spurs...I have some with spurs that are great layers too. 12 for 14 is great laying numbers and no reason for complaining there. The days are getting longer now and everyone's egg numbers should be on the increase. Hard to believe that we set the clocks back next week end, eh!

Prolly go look for sheds tomorrow...talked to a friend at church today, and he found 28 already and out of those he has 3 complete sets. He has some of the most prime area around for shed hunting though.

Back to the race.....bigz

Great muddy day to you all! DH and I were out walking around today and met some new neighbors.

DH and I also talked about our gardening plans and alterations of old spots.

Oh spring is coming!!!!!
celebrate.gif

has anybody here ever ground up a northern pike , bones and all ?
one of my bowling buddies told me to try it. says to make like salmon patties out of it..
says the bones aren't noticeable when ground that small..

..........jiminwisc
I've only ever made Salmon patties out of canned fish so I don't know if grinding works but if you're looking for a way to eat more Pike you could try filleting them the way we used to. Scale the fish and fillet it leaving the skin on, then make vertical cuts through the meat every 1/8-1/4".....use a sharp knife, and press down till you hear/feel the crunch of the 'Y' bones, but take care so as not to cut through the skin. Flour and pan fry.
Late 70's, first marriage, no money, we ate Pike filleted this way almost every Friday night...right up to Smelt season.

Quote:
has anybody here ever ground up a northern pike , bones and all ?
one of my bowling buddies told me to try it. says to make like salmon patties out of it..
says the bones aren't noticeable when ground that small..

..........jiminwisc
I've only ever made Salmon patties out of canned fish so I don't know if grinding works but if you're looking for a way to eat more Pike you could try filleting them the way we used to. Scale the fish and fillet it leaving the skin on, then make vertical cuts through the meat every 1/8-1/4".....use a sharp knife, and press down till you hear/feel the crunch of the 'Y' bones, but take care so as not to cut through the skin. Flour and pan fry.
Late 70's, first marriage, no money, we ate Pike filleted this way almost every Friday night...right up to Smelt season.

I have heard of people doing it your way,, by cutting them like that, it seems equivalent to grinding the bones.

I take the hide off, then I cut away anything that is not white meat.. I remove the strip of meat that contains the Y-bones.

I learned how to clean fish in Florida. there we cut away anything that is not white meat.. the dark layer just under the skin and on top of the white meat, and censor lines add off flavors to some fish .

I am so used to doing this, I do it with every fish. except bluegills and perch.

it works great for bass and crappies .

..........jiminwisc.............

My 6 week olds did great last night in the big girl coop!
thumbsup.gif
6 weeks old is plenty old (safe) enough to start living out in an insulated coop.

12 eggs from 14 layers is pretty darn good, and I have some hens with spurs too. And they do lay eggs. I has a PR that had spurs. She was a great layer, and she would attack the rooster if he would get too "ambitious" with any of her sisters. Lol!

chickendreams, I just sold my 2 blue roos this weekend.
hide.gif
I will have hatching eggs to sell though. I still have a black/lav roo. And a black/choc roo.

Thanks for the advice, Celtic Chick! I was worried as this colder climate is new to us. Here they are checking out their new digs. Hey jiminwisc, I am the lady who bought the small cage from you to brood these girls! Hope you are enjoying the nice weather, neighbor. Thanks for recommending this site to me!

chickendreams, I just sold my 2 blue roos this weekend.  :oops:    I will have hatching eggs to sell though. I still have a black/lav roo. And a black/choc roo. 

Oh no! ... Well I'm glad you found homes for them. Are you hatching any this year? What eggs do you have and how much? I was really looking forward to getting one of your boys but I understand you had to do what you had to do. Did you forget I wanted one of them? I realize it's been some time since we spoke about them but I hadn't forgotten I've had it written down in my chicken notebook and have been very excited to be given one of them. I guess they just weren't meant to be for me. :)

Last edited:
Jim...If you try grinding the Pike let us know how it was.

5 for 6 today from the pullets...I think they are all laying now. Started a couple dozen in the incubator yesterday so these will be the start of the next batch. I haven't even eaten one yet.

Back
Top Bottom