Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good afternoon, Annie is making sloppy Joe's and cowboy beans for supper. so I made a dozen hamburger buns, only I forgot to put the salt in the mix. that is what happens when there are people getting in my way when I am cooking.

I checked out the garden today, it was as I expected after all the rain we had. Not muddy, but still too wet to take a tractor in there..

I tried starting the rototiller. and that was just like I expected, too.. I will be draining the old gas and putting in a new spark plug,, it is like an annual ritual.. whoops, I almost typed anal ..

I got a good 50 or 60 pounds of seed potatoes today,
just the perfect size so no cutting necessary. I don't cut anyway, even if they are too big.

I am thinking I might hand plant these, even though I have a planter. when the planting day comes, then we will see how I feel about it.

......jiminwisc........

That is a lot of potatoes!!

I have lots of space for planting, going to go heavy on potatoes, corn and tomatoes this year.
I do most of the canning around here, one year I put up 96 quarts of tomatoes in one day.. I don't plan on ever doing that again..
DD #2 is always taking my canned tomatoes, so today I asked her if she wanted to help can some.. she said yes, I would like for Mom to show me how.. I told her, Mom is not the canner, I am.. she didn't even know that.. Kids!!

..........jiminwisc.......

I saw the news post about the Antigo HS Prom shooting scary. And yes it is ridiculous to blame a gun, if someone has the intent, they will find a way. I have to share a pic of Megs prom pic (for those I don't have on FB) Growing up too fast!

On day 5 with the Faverolles eggs...Hoping for a good hatch rate (and hoping I can sell them if I do)..can't wait to candle this weekend.

Congrats BigZ on the hatch-what breed did you hatch out?

Jw, the Marans is for sale because she does not lay as dark as she should. I purchased birds from a breeder last year claimed to be from show lines, and it is not the case. The Chic Orp has a flawed comb and a tuft on the top of her head. If your interested, my son is selling his trio of choc. Good quality minus some gold leakage in the cock. All under 1 yr. $75. Super Blue eggs are ginormous blue and they lay almost daily. I will have to get a picture for you when I go home today :D
Thank you for your honesty. I would like to see a closer pic if you don't mind of the Marans I just love the color splash and thank you about the orps that's a little rich for my blood right now, not thelat they're not worth it and I'm already growing out two chocolate pullets and two chocolate cuckoo cockerals all English. I am also growing out what appears to be a white sport cockeral from the chocolate line, although I'm told he could be a mauve splash he appears to be completely white at about 8 weeks. If anyone breeds white orps I have heard that people like to use the white sports in their breeding programs. If anyone is interested in him please pm me.
I saw the news post about the Antigo HS Prom shooting scary. And yes it is ridiculous to blame a gun, if someone has the intent, they will find a way. I have to share a pic of Megs prom pic (for those I don't have on FB) Growing up too fast! On day 5 with the Faverolles eggs...Hoping for a good hatch rate (and hoping I can sell them if I do)..can't wait to candle this weekend. Congrats BigZ on the hatch-what breed did you hatch out?
How soon are you able to tell gender or can you sex them? How much are you asking for pullets? I know you said you have orders for cockerals. Also where in WI are you located?

chickendreams: I am hoping to sell them as straight run as soon as they hatch. I live on the MN/WI border. $7/chick on pre hatch orders, then $10 a chick once the hatch. (discount if taking 6 or more) These are from Merlin/Boulanger rooster lines, and the hens are from a breeder that shows all over the country also.

Hi All!

BYC was down for a while again.

I think I'm feeling better, didn't eat much of anything for 3 days, about an hour ago I had 1/2 an egg salad sandwich!
clap.gif

Night All.

Yippie! Phone call at 6:30 this morning, village called to say we were right on our interpretation of the zoning ordinances and we are good to go with our coop! Looks like it is officially project weekend....

Yippie! Phone call at 6:30 this morning, village called to say we were right on our interpretation of the zoning ordinances and we are good to go with our coop! Looks like it is officially project weekend....

GG72 , are you in the Town of Maine ?

I am wondering what town official gets up that early.
lau.gif

I locked the chickens up last night, today I am going to let them out into the chicken yard only. no freeranging until they learn that in the coop is the place to lay their eggs.

I don't care much for this in between cold and warm weather.
Maybe today I will bite the bullet and try to get something accomplished outside.

I dreamed that I got the rototiller started. I hope that dream comes true.

I have to drag out the lawn mower and do some tinkering with it, also.

then there is always the boards to select for my next feeder building project.

....jiminwisc........

.I

chickendreams: I am hoping to sell them as straight run as soon as they hatch. I live on the MN/WI border. $7/chick on pre hatch orders, then $10 a chick once the hatch. (discount if taking 6 or more) These are from Merlin/Boulanger rooster lines, and the hens are from a breeder that shows all over the country also.

How far south are you? And when are the chicks due? I will talk to DH2B and let you know okay but it is going to depend some on how far away you are as DH2B is in the fields now so no long road trips for us right now unless they get rained out of the fields.

Back
Top Bottom