Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good morning,
just waiting for the coffee to brew.
too wet out to do some of the things I want to do.
there are 3 chicks just about out of their shells. only 50 more to go..
we had a power outage about a week ago. I didn't think it would cause any harm, but the chicks are all a day late.

have a safe rest of the holiday weekend..

...........jiminwisc........

Good morning,
I'm new here and trying to figure this site out. I'm in northern WI so I thought this was a good place to start! Cool, gloomy spring up here for sure! Was able to take the chicks out for a little while the other day. They weren't sure they liked it and I think it confused them! Once returned to the brooder they couldn't find the heater. (I have one of the radiant heat heaters) I had to show them several times where it was before they would settle in for the night! We heard noises out of them we had never heard before! They are three weeks old this week and most seem to sleep in front of the heater instead of under it. I raised the heater to the second level so they can fit but seems they must not need it much.
8 of the 9 are feathering fast. The one Buckeye is small and not feathering as fast as the rest, she is feisty though, seems completely healthy but not as people friendly as the others. She would rather steal from the others and take off on her own.

Chilly morning here today. Welcome to the cheeseheads Sandy! When your chicks figure out what freedom is all about, they will run you over to get out of jail.
Some of the garden is poking up, but slower than normal with so few sunny days and cool evenings
I'm making the bash...never missed one...too much fun!

bigz

The bash? I saw it mentioned in a few posts but wasn't sure what it was.

My "girls" (I sure hope) love to get out of jail, in the house! I can no longer clean it without backup. I opened the door the other day and instantly had 3 on my shoulder and then my back! I had to pull my shirt up over my head into the brooder to get them back in. Meanwhile others were jumping out! It was quite comical but worried one would be hurt!

With our cool spring, what age to move them outside for good?

Got one strawberry bed weeded. The 6 trees in the back yard are weeded around. My hubby is still trying to fix my mantis so I can get the garden under control. Also got finished waterblasting the pool and got it set up and filling. Got 10 eggs from the ladies today.

Sandy, if you check out the chickenstocks thread, there is a explanation there...it is a annual get together coming up this next weekend. A lot of changes were made here with the site and I'm trying to fix the link on my siggy that is no longer working...if that makes sense.

bigz

Sandy, if you check out the chickenstocks thread, there is a explanation there...it is a annual get together coming up this next weekend. A lot of changes were made here with the site and I'm trying to fix the link on my siggy that is no longer working...if that makes sense.

bigz
Ha ha! Not really! I'm still trying to find my way around the site myself!

I can finally post, all morning I was denied access to the internet. it happens once in awhile.

I was going to report 3 chicks hatch, 50 to go. but that has changed. there are about 8 hatched and more pips.
actually the hatch is going quite slowly. it started a day late..

raining off and on here. about the time I decide to go out, it starts to rain again.

Annie is going to make a rhubarb pie when she gets home. she stopped at DD Barby's for some rhubarb. Barby called me and gave me a heads up. I have to act surprised..

Sandi, you put the chicks out when you can no longer stand the smell.
what town are you near ?
we have a few people up nort with you. Elcho, Eagle River,Rhinelander,Crandon, the U.P.

come to the bash.It is just nort of clintonville. starts Friday, ends Sunday. camping available. RV hookups, and a lodge to sleep in if roughing it is not your style.
Family friendly get together.
......jiminwisc.....

I can finally post, all morning I was denied access to the internet. it happens once in awhile.

I was going to report 3 chicks hatch, 50 to go. but that has changed. there are about 8 hatched and more pips.
actually the hatch is going quite slowly. it started a day late..

raining off and on here. about the time I decide to go out, it starts to rain again.

Annie is going to make a rhubarb pie when she gets home. she stopped at DD Barby's for some rhubarb. Barby called me and gave me a heads up. I have to act surprised..

Sandi, you put the chicks out when you can no longer stand the smell.
what town are you near ?
we have a few people up nort with you. Elcho, Eagle River,Rhinelander,Crandon, the U.P.

come to the bash.It is just nort of clintonville. starts Friday, ends Sunday. camping available. RV hookups, and a lodge to sleep in if roughing it is not your style.
Family friendly get together.
......jiminwisc.....
Sounds like a good time. I do have a trailer but with the chicks so young I don't think I should leave them just yet! I'm in Eagle River, funny you mentioned that!

They don't really smell but I have upgraded them to a 2'x4' brooder and they are seeming to want more room! I am drying some sand in the oven now to make them another bath. That seems to entertain them for awhile! They love to swing and sit on the roost. They sleep in front of the heater instead of under it but it's still pretty cool out especially at night!

I tried to fix the link in my siggy, but it still won't highlight in blue like it needs to. Must be the country redneck in me as to why I can't figure it out. Not a puter guy, and I'm done trying to jump through any more hoops....
Yep, rain then a little sun, then more rain....the chickens run to the coops, then come back out, only to havta repeat again.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom